Discuss flue issue - novel but legal solution needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul1971

hi

have just bought a house with an Ideal Mexico 2 upright boiler that flues to the side of the house. when we first looked at the house the side of the house had been fitted with a lean to roofed area - kind of a poor man's conservatory! - however when we asked the sellers to have the boiler serviced before we exchanged the guy who came out insisted that the roof had to come off because of the flue and have been told that the only solution if we want to put the roof back is to change the boiler which as it is a 20 year old house will also mean upgrading all the existing pipework to 20mm and in short is beginning to look extremely expensive. Does anyone know of a legal way around this that doesn't involve changing the boiler or leaving a hole in the roof? Have been told that can't simply extend or re-route the existing flue... Is there any kind of device that can be fitted to the end of the existing flue to deal with the output - some kind of air filter or something? The purchase is complete now, we got a reduction in the price to help toward the cost of new boiler but as mortgage company wouldn't allow an allowance we had to get the purchase price reduced instead which doesn't really make us any better off in real terms other than paying about £2 a month less on the mortgage! Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Afraid there is no filter or extension you can put on the flue,what you have been told is correct,you could move the complete boiler to a location were the existing flue's termination would be correct with roof replaced,if this can be done without damaging flue on removal from existing position
If you do replace the boiler,you may well find big savings in fuel bills that may help against off setting against any loan repayment you would require to take out for a new boiler and of course you will be doing your bit for the environment
One thing for sure,do not even think about sneaking the roof back on,there have been many fatalities from the situation you mention and you could be signing your families death warrant if you did
imho

Thanks for the advice... thought that was probably the case but worth asking! Wouldn't dream of putting the roof back till the boilers sorted - just frustrating that what looks like it should be easily solvable isn't!

sound like the old owner was lucky to be around to sell you the house. If you replace the boiler, fit modern controls you will make big savings on your gas bills and recoupe alot of the cost over the coming years, with the way bills are rising its worth the investment.

Have to agree with AW Heating, it will more than likely be needed in the future anyway, so why not kill 2 birds, make your new house, safe, comfortable, cheaper and future proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flue issue - novel but legal solution needed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock