Discuss Flue Bracket Advice! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davey Cammack

Not sure if this is the correct section so apologies if not.

I have been told that i need to fit a bracket to my gas fire flue in the loft. I have attached picture of it also & i was looking for some advice on the type of bracket to get & where & how many needs fitting. I think you need 1 bracket every meter of exposed flue pipe & correct me if im wrong but i think the bracket would need to go closest to where its connected to the roof to vent out the toxins?

The pipe is 6" diameter & 10" away from the wall to the center of the pipe.

Any help would be great as British gas has quoted me £200 to fit one & ive seen the brackets far cheaper like £20-£30 so the rest is labor which im not going to pay when im more than skilled enough to do it myself, just it would be the first time so need pointers.

Also, if you know if B&Q, Screwfix do the parts i should get as i see they have some but just dont know which would do the job.

Thanks

Attachments

• flue.JPG
    flue.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
How close is the flue to the wood

Also. I would get a GSR to do it. If you disturb a fitting and it's not tested before next use it may be at risk of spilling

^^ agree and i dont like the angle on the first bend on the left hand side and whats all the tape for wrapped around? and idoes it have a gap when going through the ceiling from the felt?-from what i can see and make out and also yes no clips.- get a gas sfe engineer out to assess and advise you on your best course of action.

i dont like the look of any of that touching combustibles wood/felt,angle on the first bend looks like a 90 degree(not allowed on open flued appliances and tape is not allowed on fittings either as they have to be inspectable

Hi, thanks for the replies. British gas came out & inspected it & stated all that is needed is a 6" bracket south facing to the wall.
Now the distance from the wood beam on the right of the picture is 6", the distance from the wood on the left side of the picture is 3".
The flue looks like it was fitted after the roof was fitted tbh with u as the hole it goes through is roughly cut into the felt & i cant see no gaps around the flue into the roof & looks like its filled with some kind of form.

I do plan on having BG to come out & inspect it afterwards as its free to do so as part of the packages we have with them, however i dont agree on the excess cost they charge to do it when im more than capable of doing it myself & having it inspected before using the fire.

The fire is a small gas fire & the flue is inside the wall & its always passed inspections of previous years up until recently where its now a requirement for a bracket which i presume is to support the weight of the flue from falling in away from the roof yes?

I was also thinking of replacing the plastic tape with the fire retardant silver tap as hot metal + plastic tape = bad idea in my books.

So any pointers on where i need to attach the bracket, what type of bracket would be great + any tips to add more protection to the wood beams close to the flue?

Hi, thanks for the replies. British gas came out & inspected it & stated all that is needed is a 6" bracket south facing to the wall.
Now the distance from the wood beam on the right of the picture is 6", the distance from the wood on the left side of the picture is 3".
The flue looks like it was fitted after the roof was fitted tbh with u as the hole it goes through is roughly cut into the felt & i cant see no gaps around the flue into the roof & looks like its filled with some kind of form.

I do plan on having BG to come out & inspect it afterwards as its free to do so as part of the packages we have with them, however i dont agree on the excess cost they charge to do it when im more than capable of doing it myself & having it inspected before using the fire.

The fire is a small gas fire & the flue is inside the wall & its always passed inspections of previous years up until recently where its now a requirement for a bracket which i presume is to support the weight of the flue from falling in away from the roof yes?

I was also thinking of replacing the plastic tape with the fire retardant silver tap as hot metal + plastic tape = bad idea in my books.

So any pointers on where i need to attach the bracket, what type of bracket would be great + any tips to add more protection to the wood beams close to the flue?

re read the previous reply's

Pre cast flue going to selkirk IL. Been like that since the house was built.
You got off lightly with a flue bracket. Most would and should have picked up 4 faults.

Get it done properly.

Ur in over your head. Stop and think about the possible consequences of any work u do. This is flue work, u would be disturbing joints, flue checks need carried out after such work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue Bracket Advice! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock