Search the forum,

Discuss Flexible tap connectors - quality of in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elbow

Some of these last well for years, and others seem to fail quickly. Is there a British Standard? Can anyone suggest good brands?

I agree. But some combinations of tap/sink/basin are so awkward that flexi connectors are the only way to get in.

there is a professional standard that that flexys come under

​NO....

If you use one that is WRAS approved it's a good start. Not as good as copper but better than the non approved ones and not a breach of the water regulations to fit either.

the use of non wras approved ones has lead o legionella in a hospital, seems the bacteria like cheap chinese rubber.

What is it about the WRAS approved ones, then - is it a particular type of rubber that resists bacteria? And is it thicker rubber that resists bursting?

wras approved = min acceptable quality Id have thought. Dear old system, he'll catch up with the rest of the world one day, bet he misses the art of lead soldering etc, but we can't use that kit now for one reason or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it about the WRAS approved ones, then - is it a particular type of rubber that resists bacteria? And is it thicker rubber that resists bursting?

They've been subject to testing to prove that they are up to the job and will not contaminate the water supply.

The ones that come with the more expensive taps are usually a decent quality. If I don't use them, I save them.

Why the big fuss over flexis?

we all know, that when changing a set of basin taps its a nice surprise to see a set of flexis below the basin! Trying to get the rigid copper tails connected is a pain, the old washer breaks up inside, it's difficult to clean & put a new washer on whilst fiddling about through the old tap hole!

Flexis have that nice rubber seat! No leaks, first time!

Totally agree with you gassafe. If its changing a set of kitchen taps i prefer to use flexi's just like you say, you link them up and they dont leak first time and save alot of hassle!

You also get a lot of mixer taps for sinks and basins that comes with flexi's already connected that you can't get off no matter how much you try :)

Do WRAS-approved fittings have it written on them? Like a kite mark or something?

Totally agree with you gassafe. If its changing a set of kitchen taps i prefer to use flexi's just like you say, you link them up and they dont leak first time and save alot of hassle!
Yes they don't leak FIRST time is not the attitude of a professional plumber. Whatever we install should be far better than any diy installer can do. Flexis are not a long term solution and I've seen enough that have failed or burst to know better.

It's not just my opinion, in most public buildings, nursery homes and hospitals, their use is banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the council work i do is all soldered tails.
I do carry flexis though. They can get you home quicker when its necessary (fridays) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexible tap connectors - quality of in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I’ve used the hep20 tap connectors a few years back when I did. C&G plumbing course. I brought a few the other day and in the packet was a...
Replies
Views
Has anyone used WOWOW brand faucets? I happened to see this brand of faucets. The price is affordable and the quality seems to be good, but I am...
Replies
Views
I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've got a toilet that's been leaking due to a faulty seal with the pan connector. We've had a plumber in to replace the pan connector...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a DIYer, successfully fitted an external garden tap, supply sourced from downstairs loo, standard 13 mil copper pipework, in-line...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock