Discuss Flexible hose burst help FOR A SECOND TIME!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ianwilliams7

I had a house built three years ago and 9 months ago a flexible hose in my sons ensuite split. The hose that split was the flexible from the copper feed to the cistern. We have a pressurised cistern. Fortunately we were in bed and turned the mains off before we had too much damage. We assumed we were unlucky and did not replace the flexible hoses in the other 5 toilets around the house.

On Friday another flexible burst and we have had minor damage caused to our ceiling downstairs and again was lucky as we were in the house again. If we were not in I believe we would have had tens of thousands of pounds of damage.

Question. Have we been extremely unlucky.

Question. I am going to replace the hoses on all cisterns. Should I have all the flexible hoses replaced to all the sinks etc

Question. Are they flexible hoses with valves on if we experience another failure.

Any advice, comments would be appreciated.

Yes you've been very unlucky. I wouldn't replace all the hoses unless you want to because of peace of mind. Make sure they are not kinked badly as this will ceate a problem. I don't use the ones with valves on, I just don't like them. You can fit isolation valves then the flexi hoses.

The die hards on the forum will tell you 'flexi hoses bad' 'don't use them ever' 'your not a plumber if you use them'

HOWEVER, a lot of taps now come with flexi hoses.

Thank you for a prompt reply. What's frustrating is there were no kinks in the hoses and the plumber has told me the hose in question has been fitted in nearly 3/400 other jobs he has done and yet we have had 2 fail!

you have been unlucky they seldom burst and only occasionally leak for what they cost i think id have them changed as you may have a faulty batch

If you've high water pressure it might be worth fitting a pressure reducing valve.

Although most fittings are tested to 10 bar I suspect that with the cheapness of materials these days that they can't withstand more than 4 bar for many years. Most pressure reducing valves reduce pressure to 3 bar, which is usually more than adequate.

I install them all the time and I'd recommend changing the lot. You'd be mad not too beause it takes two seconds (they're flexi's) and you won't have to worry about a third going. Changing all connections for rigid copper = unnecessary. Changing all flexi's out of fear of a dodgy batch given TWO failing = probably worth the short time it would take

...and what DKIA said. damn nuisance always sneaks up behind me with better advice than i'm penning without the common courtesy to allow me to read his before waffling

Last edited:
...and what DKIA said. damn nuisance always sneaks up behind me with better advice than i'm penning without the common courtesy to allow me to read his before waffling

LOL - just different advice (not necessarily better!) I've probably an unfair advantage in that I can type quickly!!

Hello I have been looking through the internet to find other people who have had burst flexible hoses and came across you. I have been a plumber for 34 years and consider myself a very competent plumber. I fitted a flexible hose for a long standing customer, after 5 weeks the flexi burst! the insurance company are trying to hold me responsible saying the burst was due to installation. I refute this as I know I am not responsible! I am hoping that you or someone who reads this might have taken a photo of a burst hose to show that this has happened before. many thanks. The hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexible hose burst help FOR A SECOND TIME!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock