Discuss Flexi hoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I aimed to put the jointing compound on the end of the pipe but I often put too much on which squeezed it into the thread.

Does it go hard or does it stay soft?

On the bit where I have lots of compression joints, I have about an inch of original 15mm pipe to work with as it goes off behind some boxing.

Depends on what paste you used. I use Jet Lube V2, which will never harden and is for potable water. If you used Boss White or similar, you shouldn't really have as they will harden with heat and really only for heating pipes.

I've seen compound that's set solid before now, no idea what kind as I was the one trying to clean it off, not put it on.
As I said, just a smear on the olive will be plenty ;)

Boss White is one of them. It oozes into threads of nuts and sets hard. It has a linseed oil base.

I used Fernox Water Hawk or something - from Screwfix.

Its like chewing gum.

I am not sure about that. Some of the Fernox paste is near identical to Boss White.
It is supposed to be potable on all cold and hot supplies.
Boss White has been used for years - now it is wrong to do so, but whether it actually does any harm or not is hard to know.
Edit, - just looked it up and I see it is, as its name suggests, Fernox Water Hawk is for potable water, so nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
ok well i will see if i can get a pipe bender off someone i know at work tomorrow, if not i can hire one for a tenner or buy a cheapo from wickes for ÂŁ25.

I could do the rigid pipe with a few comrpession joints i spose but i fancy a go on the pipe bender.

if i buy the oen from wickes is there any way i can try and forsee if it wil lcrease pipes before I buy?

The usual cause of copper pipe creasing in a bender is cheap copper.
Buy quality British copper pipe from your local independant merchant, don't get it from one of the big sheds.
Had my first pipe bender about 10 years and it only used to cause creases with cheap copper, it wasn't an age thing, or temperature thing and I used the same guides etc. on every piece of pipe I bent.
Although I might add that 22mm was partial to the occasional ripple, even with quality copper.

Nahh cheap, dimensionally incorrect guides everytime.
I buy the cheapest copper i can get my mits on.
It has the same BS as the expensive stuff.

I never have a problem with it throating. Only ever with nasty cheap benders.

Maybe im just lucky !

Usually the isolating valves are never needed and can seize up or leak if not decent quality IMO.
Not needed I believe.

As per the water regs each appliances/outlet should have the ability to be independently isolated

All though I agree there usually useless I still fit them to everything where practical, but usually just put to good quality full bores on the hot and cold incoming into the bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexi hoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock