Discuss fixings for breeze block in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi everyone,

I need to hang a heavy vertical rad (10,500 btu) onto a dot and dab plasterboard wall with breeze block behind it. This is the first time i have needed to hang something this heavy onto breeze block and am just looking for some advice on what fixings are best for this situation?

thanks

You maybe could consider coach screws (basically heavy screws with hexagon nut heads) & raw plugs to suit - like fisher plugs.
Very strong & so easy to tighten up using a socket. I use stainless steel coach screws for outside on walls for flue pipes, but ordinary plated ones will do inside.
Or frame fixings or long thunder bolts also handy.

Or consider cutting the
Gyproc out where the brackets are
Going and putting a stud behind
The bracket

When u say breeze block do u mean Thermalite or concrete block? If Thermalite use some form of large rawplugs and screw. Permaps cut in a 18mm ply spacer and then plaster board over it and then screw brackets through plaster and plaster board into ply. If concrete resin some 10mm stud in and use a stainless 10mm nut finished off with a dome nut

thanks for all the replies,

how can i tell if it is Thermalite or concrete block? if i use coach bolts should i use some type of resin with them??

thanks everyone

if they are thermalite you could push your screw driver in to them, they are the blocks you can cut with a hand saw. Obviously you cant do that with concrete blocks, unless you fancy a go but I wouldn't advise it LOL

I use the rawl plugs and thick gauge screws also the 4 brackets you have are about 70mm x 70mm with the half moon curve , i put a little dab of no nails on back of bracket as i screw them in,

It's a shame no one makes a brown plug, with a solid spacer of plastic about 25-30mm long. This would be perfect for fixing into block covered in dot and dab. It would stop the plasterboard from being pulled in.

It's a shame no one makes a brown plug, with a solid spacer of plastic about 25-30mm long. This would be perfect for fixing into block covered in dot and dab. It would stop the plasterboard from being pulled in.

In this situation, I drill the hole into the wall and put a piece of copper into the plasterboard until it hits the blockwork.
Mark the copper on the face of the plasterboard, cut it and use it as a spacer.

It works a treat, but what would I expect.
My old boss - bless his soul ( not )! taught me that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fixings for breeze block in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock