Discuss Fixing cistern with no screw holes to the wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frenchy316

Hi Guys. I have to secure a 'wobbly' toilet cistern to the wall, only it has no existing screw holes? and I wondered what would be the best way to secure this? I have heard of people using a basin bracket? or sealant near to the top of the cistern? Thanks in advance

If I have n a cistern with no hole I just put 2 small blobs of silcone at the top of the cistern and push the cistern back on to it.
don't put to much back there, remember you may have to go back and take it off again!!

Cheers for now.

As ^^^^
Or 2 beads across the top of the cistern just below the lid, so you can get a knife in if needed to cut it out at another time.

It's amazing how well it holds, when you don't want it to..

Unlike some Berkley that I attended and had nicely pasted silicone all over the back :mad2:

Dunno why people do it. Everything in this place was siliconed hate hate hate it

Find an excuse to change the flush valve to a servicible one if you have to mastic the back!

and the fill valve if it isn't accessible

Two dabs of silicone for me. But it shouldnt really be wobbling.

Easy to do. Have you never angle grinded the back off a pan where it meets the floor? That's a twitch moment.

Once i know nothings leaking and know im not going to need to take the cistern off then i put STICKSALL or NO NAILS squirted behind cistern

These screwless cisterns are normally on half back to the wall pans, where theres limited access. Just did a big project with 5 of them, all victoria plumb range

Once i know nothings leaking and know im not going to need to take the cistern off then i put STICKSALL or NO NAILS squirted behind cistern

These screwless cisterns are normally on half back to the wall pans, where theres limited access. Just did a big project with 5 of them, all victoria plumb range

Hope you don't get any call backs on them then!!

[DLMURL="http://www.*********.com/"]How to drill holes in hard tiles with diamond core holesaw drilling bits[/DLMURL]

Is this porsadrill set worth getting? anyone got it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, extremely helpful as always! I had thought of using a porcelain drill bit, yet the thought alone makes me touch cloth!lol I will proceed with the sealant option! Thanks again

Just a bit of advice, if you do have a cistern siliconed back with loads on it, use a standard woodsaw from the top. Saws through it in seconds.

Might have to get a set. got pretty much all the tools i need for now so might start getting bits like this. Will make jobs so much easier and look a lot better.

All this talk of ceramic reminds of when I watched a kitchen fitter rigorously hitting the tap hole cut out on a ceramic kitchen sink with a hammer. It was supposed to be my job buti sat there and cringed with terror. Shortly after he cracked it. 300-400 sink. I tapped the replacement out. Another twitch moment

Unlike some Berkley that I attended and had nicely pasted silicone all over the back :mad2:

even better when it's gripfill!!

Ooops Koogatubac, not a good idea mate.
:nono:

If I have n a cistern with no hole I just put 2 small blobs of silcone at the top of the cistern and push the cistern back on to it.
don't put to much back there, remember you may have to go back and take it off again!!

Cheers for now.

What he said!!
100% correct way of doing things.

Just a bit of advice, if you do have a cistern siliconed back with loads on it, use a standard woodsaw from the top. Saws through it in seconds.

This is the only way I have found to remove a cistern that has been totally siliconed to the wall.

An easier way - use a guitar high E string wrapped around two file handles and use like a cheese wire. Doesnt ruin the saw or make scratch marks on the tiles.

An easier way - use a guitar high E string wrapped around two file handles and use like a cheese wire. Doesnt ruin the saw or make scratch marks on the tiles.

Nice idea but my local PTS were out of guitar strings when I last had to remove a siliconed to the wall cistern!!!

Beware if gluing a cistern to a wall that if the floor later moves or shrinks a little - as with new builds, that the cistern will take all the strain & split open, especially if somebody heavy is sat on the pot!
I saw a siliconed cistern on a shrunk wood floor suddenly do this & flood water everywhere & nobody was near it!

Always thought of a cheese wire, or fine braided wire for exactly that! Never used one though.

There was a youtube video a while ago where someone cut through PE waste pipe using fishing line braid.

as a farmer's son i find that cattle de-horning wire is good for removing silacones cisterns!

Damn!! I've only got a "D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixing cistern with no screw holes to the wall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and...
Replies
Views
I have a vanity basin and concealed cistern toilet to install. In place if a wall hung basin and toilet in a down stairs cloak room. The only...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have to replace the flush valve and/or the washer but unfortunately it's inside the vanity unit. The only way is removing the toilet. I...
Replies
Views
I’m experimenting with the installation of a floating countertop / basin. At the top of the picture are the brackets I’m considering using. Below...
Replies
Views
Hi Just moved into a house and in process of renewing sealant around the shower cubicle. Feel free to skip to the bottom to get the question...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock