Search the forum,

Discuss Fixed “2 litre per minute underfloor leak”. Thank for advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

a few months ago I made an enquiry re a leak in hot water system under the floor preventing central heating working. thanks for help in my last post.

The solution was to divert around the leak and install new pipes.

The pipes were well hidden and several visits were needed to track the pipe route. After dismantling the upstairs bath room we found pipes from downstairs coming in thru a wall. The other side of the wall was a small loft over a single storey extension where the back of the house had been pushed put by 1.5 m.

Access to the loft was not easy, fibre glass over joists. I built a crawlway a couple of metres, and found the pipes going between RSJ and original joist inside the house. completely in accessible. A large hole had been knocked out through the double skin of the cavity wall. Made good inside by covering with plasterboard, big hole left in original exterior wall connecting the small loft to space beneath upstairs floor boards, and directly connected to kitchen beneath via non-fire rated downlighters.

Next day I proceeded slowly down the loft. The pipes had an interesting route. They passed through 2 holes drilled in the web of the RSJ to the other side. Then along inside the RSJ, behind the ends of the rafters supported by the RSJ. Totally inaccessible - the plumbing must have been put in at an early stage in the build of the extension. The pipes went to the ground floor behind plasterboard in exterior corner.

I came across another big hole where the cavity had been breached to connect a soil pipe to the original. Soil pipe supported on paint can and bricks resting on plasterboard ceiling. The inner skin was bricked up. The old bath waste hadn’t been capped off.

It took 4 days to re route the pipes under a bedroom floor, into the very very cramped loft space and connect to the original as I did want inaccessible pipes still carrying water.

Some pix, the first is the only place where pipes were accessible, lookin from loft through hole in cavity.

5C2BE191-C338-4E00-BF60-980689DF102F.jpeg

This is the re routed hot water
9D3F2EEC-8E34-4D98-84F8-B635E0EA4A8E.jpeg

Still got to block up the holes in the brickwork as I am not happy with it re. Fire safety.

Last edited:
An epic tale of determination and endurance. Maybe you missed your true vocation in life. thank you. Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Thanks, Yes I often think that perhaps I should have done something in construction. But I made my mum proud and went to uni. Bit late now ... sort of retired!

The floorboard is under the bath so it’s not walked over. It’s a Jacqusie bath. No way I can get at the floorboards. No bath weight on it.

Soil pipe is bath waste! I had get over it to go further down the loft.

Reply to Fixed “2 litre per minute underfloor leak”. Thank for advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock