Search the forum,

Discuss Fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie2

:):)

I suppose one of the first things that give away a new guy, is if they don't know the names of the fittings.

There is obviously a coupler for instance, but what sort? Compression, push fit, solder ring, end feed and so on, then type and composition, it goes on.

Usually though, we get away with calling fittings things like tee piece, but what sort of tee? Tee, corner or cross and how do you size them if all the sides are different? There is an order to follow of course.

If you have to order a lot its well worth learning the catalogue numbers as then there can be less chance of getting it wrong.

Its not only copper but all kinds of plastic, iron, lcs and so on you have to know as well. And we ain't even started on gas, lead work, boiler spares and so on.

I would advise a newcomer to learn the lingo, by reading the fitting catalogues and getting themselves a load of price lists.

I also have not mentioned specification and application, a whole field on its own.

I suppose ite relatively easy for us old codgers, who have been in the game for years and learnt to speak at least part of the lingo when younger. But for new fellas, its hard to go into a merchants and ask for something if you don't even know its name.

Incidentally at one time Conex seemed to be one of the most used compression fittings in the UK.
But they call olives, rings not olives, olives where thought of as a different sort of ring, usually on gas fittings.

Have good read then :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It always made me laugh at the plumbers merchants when a private customer would say something like "I need a bit to fit to this - here look - and also to fit onto the other bit that it is still in my house".

What's even funnier is that they now try the same ruse in screwfix! where the guys behind the counter simply enter the codes and then manage to pronounce the names of the bits wrong.

in plumbfix on saturday to pick up some bits, at electrician/plumbers counter and old boy wants a thingy, you know my sparky sent me, 10 minutes later and still umming i pointed out he was at the trade counter, saturday shoppers should benext door, he took the hump but at least i got my order done in 10 seconds and queriedthe assistant as to why they bothered opening a trade counter if they are still going to serve idiot diy dont know what i want really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in plumbfix on saturday to pick up some bits, at electrician/plumbers counter and old boy wants a thingy, you know my sparky sent me, 10 minutes later and still umming i pointed out he was at the trade counter, saturday shoppers should benext door, he took the hump but at least i got my order done in 10 seconds and queriedthe assistant as to why they bothered opening a trade counter if they are still going to serve idiot diy dont know what i want really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense meant here...you should give the guy a break. I remember when I first qualified as NVQ2, and to be honest knew nothing. I clearly remember going into the merchants and asking for a fitting (I'd been asked to collect by my father/brother) and then the merchant would say something like 'male or female' or just look confused as I'd said it wrong.

I'd then go red from the neck up, and gesticulate while trying to verbalise what I required....or phone my dad! Very embarrassing.

You'd always get some tw** leaning against the counter who'd make some comment and make you feel like a pleb.

So now I've been in the game a few years, I'm happy to help and be patient with people. There's always a few people on the counter, and if some time waster is having a plumbing lesson from a stockist then so be it.

None of us know it all. I'm on hear reguarly as I want to learn more.

i would give a newby plumber a break, but he was general public using what is meant to be a trade counter

Time is money and i aint got the time or the patience to listen to some halfwit trying to explain what he wants for 15 minutes.
Situations like this i just collect the bits myself, scribble out a list and tell them to do me a line and sign it themselves, i'm off. But then i know all my merchants well.

Ah, OK. True. Fair enough OldPlumber. Maybe I jumped on you a bit there as I remember going in with my scribbled list and that feeling of trepidation...

Almost like, I'm dressed the part but can I talk the talk!

As for you Tamz, does your merchants only have one person serving? I use PTS and Drakes, (also have an account with Plumbase but never use em). There's always someone ready to serve after a few minutes, I can't say I rush in and out super quick, of course I get frustrated if there's a long queue, but frankly it's five minutes where I get to relax in the day. Sometimes the only five minutes I give myself.

PTS, grahams, plumb center, city, plumbline, ashworth's etc plus a couple of independants. Delt with them all for over 25 years and know them all well. Usually 2 serving but if it is busy or there is a timewaster in i collect my own.
Relaxing at work is not a luxury i am normally blessed with.

Btw Travis Perkins (city plumbing) are set to take over PTS but the branches should remain.......so they hope.

Well I try and grab any chance to relax that I can...which can be five mins in the merchants.

Another interesting thing has raised it's head here. I use my two merchants, but mainly PTS...I used Drakes for years and years, but when I split with my father ammecably, I set up an account down the road as I didn't want dads stuff going on my account and vise versa.

Anyway, I feel it pays to use (where possible) the one merchants...as they get to know you, and that repore can be very useful. When things turn up damaged, of parts missing, I never get any grief, it's just dealt with.

I have no time for rude merchant staff, there's a guy at the electrical wholesalers next to PTS, he's got a chip on his shoulder, and instead of confronting him (as my brother did) I just don't shop there any more, he has 3 competitors within 400yards.

Btw Travis Perkins (city plumbing) are set to take over PTS but the branches should remain.......so they hope.

If anything, I would imagine it's a plus. City Electrics are very good, and we all know Travis connections would be a good thing.

Last edited:
You should open a few more accounts and play them against each other for better prices and be open about doing so. If they know you may go elsewhere you will see how much they start to sharper their pencil. Being loyal to one will cost you.
Get the prices from the others if you like then go back to your favorite and tell them what they have to beat. If they can they will just to keep their figures up.

One of the best thing i did was the wife used to be a marketing manager with a shipbuilder (how do you sell a ship?) but she was fed up with the traveling so packed it in. She was bored after a wee while so she said she'd set me up spreadsheets of all the merchants prices and terms and start to operate a purchase order system where they had to get approval on their prices. This has saved me a fortune over the past 3 years or so. (they make lots from you on the small everyday things you pop in for)
Well worth the tenner a week i pay her :D

In my experience, Travis getting involved with anything is not good news:(

Travis bought a plumbing chain in south London called B&G,few years back,made part of City plumbing brand, was really busy good merchants, within a few months of them taking over, lost most of its trade customers, who went else were,along with a lot of the staff, outlets were and are now dead, I closed my account after many years as got treat like they were doing you a favour giving you a account and letting you use them, I used to get a 2% discount, if bill paid within 7 days, scraped that, saying prices good anyway and then put everything up,when I stoped using them ,they sent me a 5% discount vouchor,to try to get me back but checking prices ,they were still more expensive,I just moved on to another independent and the internet

The same thing will probably happen to existing pts trade customers, prices will increase and service drop, they forget pts customer base is price driven and try to increase price, thinking trade will still use, but they will not

What I will say is if they take over, double check your monthly statements and any agreed prices you have in Branch as they are known for trying it on and charging out at premium rates hoping to get away with it,you end up having to go into your local supplier and sort out and you will need more than the 5 mins mentioned for chill out !:(

Also can not understand why they can not even pick thier own shop fitting scheme,they use the same as plumb center ??:confused:

In my honest opinion only

ps.. my favourite fitting is a enfeed street elbow for some reason ,maybe coz when I started out ,we were not allowed to use them because they were to expensive,it still seems like a treat to use :p

Sound advise Tamz. We have to do everything we can these days.

My wife is pregnant with our second, and prob won't go back to work after baby....she's got the skills and patience for that sort of thing. I just get lost in the figures.

As you say, I never even question the price of what I buy unless it's a boiler, cylinder etc. I guess I should sharpen me act up!!

Travis bought a plumbing chain in south London called B&G,few years back,made part of City plumbing brand, was really busy good merchants, within a few months of them taking over, lost most of its trade customers, who went else were,along with a lot of the staff, outlets were and are now dead, I closed my account after many years as got treat like they were doing you a favour giving you a account and letting you use them, I used to get a 2% discount, if bill paid within 7 days, scraped that, saying prices good anyway and then put everything up,when I stoped using them ,they sent me a 5% discount vouchor,to try to get me back but checking prices ,they were still more expensive,I just moved on to another independent and the internet

The same thing will probably happen to existing pts trade customers, prices will increase and service drop, they forget pts customer base is price driven and try to increase price, thinking trade will still use, but they will not

What I will say is if they take over, double check your monthly statements and any agreed prices you have in Branch as they are known for trying it on and charging out at premium rates hoping to get away with it,you end up having to go into your local supplier and sort out and you will need more than the 5 mins mentioned for chill out !:(

Also can not understand why they can not even pick thier own shop fitting scheme,they use the same as plumb center ??:confused:

In my honest opinion only

ps.. my favouate fitting is a enfeed street elbow for some reason ,maybe coz when I started out ,we were not allowed to use them because they were to expensive,it still seems like a treat to use :p

Oh dear...well that doesn't sound to positive!!

My favourite fitting is a 22mm Yorkshire coupling - use it in a verticle joint. Pure indulgance!!!!! HA HA!!!

Last edited:
ill be happy to see the back of pts locally, all to much hassle to get an account fm the local counter, city and travis look after me well so no complaints there, norally down to poor managers locally when things go sour

I guess it's all horses for courses. My lot are pretty helpful. So I hope they keep their jobs, but if they don't I'll just move down the road. That's life I guess!

ps.. my favourite fitting is a enfeed street elbow for some reason ,maybe coz when I started out ,we were not allowed to use them because they were to expensive,it still seems like a treat to use :p

You must have served your time in the same type of shop as me. Had heard of them but never saw one until i was 45 :D I used to love bumping into a meter fitter and getting a load of the meter tails off him. just the right spacing for the motorised valves.
Keep thinking i should buy some of those crossovers as they would be handy but i then think why should i when i can bend it in 10 seconds :eek:

I agree with you on the Travis takeover. I'm not sure it will be for the best and PTS (if the brand survives) will probably suffer.
I am a personal friend with our regional manager of PTS, known him since he worked on the counter, and he is very wary of how it may go. Time will tell.

Danny

Put her on your books if she is not claiming anything and pay her £95/week (paper exercise, no tax or NI payable). That is £4940 a year off your profits so you save on the tax. Talk to you accountant.

For all you other guys

Get to know the managers of your merchants and get on all the freebies.
I have a holiday abroad every year (sometimes more) around half a dozen games of golf at the top courses and a few top football matches and i don't spend anywhere near what i used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock