Discuss Fitting Ball Valve Issues, please help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am in the process of replacing a 22mm gate vale on the cold water feed to a shower. I had to cut the gate valve off because I just couldn't unscrew it , no matter how hard I tried.
In the process of fitting the new ball valve, I have found that the pipe is a few cm short and does not go into the ball valve at all. As a result I can just about about screw it tight. This really makes me uneasy.
What will you recommend to make this pipe a little longer? Also should I use jointing compound on the compression fittings?

Thank you .

Hi,
I am in the process of replacing a 22mm gate vale on the cold water feed to a shower. I had to cut the gate valve off because I just couldn't unscrew it , no matter how hard I tried.
In the process of fitting the new ball valve, I have found that the pipe is a few cm short and does not go into the ball valve at all. As a result I can just about about screw it tight. This really makes me uneasy.
What will you recommend to make this pipe a little longer? Also should I use jointing compound on the compression fittings?

Thank you .

be-like-bill-plumber-uneasy.jpg

You are confusing me with Gate valve then Ball valve in your post but if you cut the pipe to remove the gate valve then you shouldn`t be surprised the pipe is now too short.

Somewhere you have to add a straight coupler and use a new length of pipe to reach the valve.

You are confusing me with Gate valve then Ball valve in your post but if you cut the pipe to remove the gate valve then you shouldn`t be surprised the pipe is now too short.

Somewhere you have to add a straight coupler and use a new length of pipe to reach the valve.

Thanks rpm. sorry i meant to say I was replacing a gate valve with a ball valve. I will need to solder with the straight coupler won't I? Is there an alternative without soldering?
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks rpm. sorry i meant to say I was replacing a gate valve with a ball valve.

Does the ball valve have a lever to turn the water off or is it a screwdriver slot type?

You need the pipe to fully engage so you're right to be uneasy. Easiest thing is cut the pipe back further and cut a new length of pipe. Then use a compression coupler at one end and the lever valve at the other to make up the gap. Yes use compound

Any more advice please?

See you`ve edited and added about soldering now. If your not confident in your ability and the straight connecter will be on show not hidden away then a compression fitting is what most DIYERs use. My view is that no tape or paste should be required but views do differ on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting Ball Valve Issues, please help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock