Discuss Fitting additional expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MtM

I am replacing an open vented oil boiler with a Worcester Bosch 25/32 system boiler with an integrated 10 litre expansion vessel fitted within the casing connected to the flow side of the integrated circulating pump. The house has 21 radiators and research indicates a system of this capacity needs an expansion vessel of 21-24 litres. I am about to buy and fit an additional 12 litre vessel next to the boiler but would be grateful for advice before doing so:

- Is the advice to fit an additional vessel correct or should I risk relying on the smaller integrated vessel alone?

- The integrated vessel connects on the flow side of the integrated circulating pump and yet advice suggests expansion vessels are best fitted on the return line. Should I connect it to the flow side just along from the existing one or connect to the return line? Would it then matter that the 2 vessels were fitted each side of the pump?

- what are the downsides of having 2 separate vessels on the same system, ie would they compete/conflict. Should I accept the higher cost and do away with the integrated vessel to fit a single 24 litre one external to the boiler - best on the return line as suggested?

MikeM

the vessel size is calculated on system volume, so you need to fit whats required.

the boiler manufacture is the best place to ask about the position and preesure of the external vessel, phone there technical help line or read the boilers instructions. Do not remove the one in the boiler it will probably void the warrantee.

Thanks for the good advice, particularly about the warranty. The manufacturer and installation instruction are both vague about how you achieve the right expansion vessel volume. I'll go back and press.

Cheers

MikeM

Hope this help's, MtM

[DLMURL]http://www.rwc.co.uk/ABOUT_EXPVESS.html[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to calculate the total system volume........so the amount of water in the boiler,rads,pipework etc..... added together. The boiler manufacture will tell you what its expansion vessel's max system volume is. any extra needs to be taken up by the additional vessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting additional expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
I see a lot of small 2l expansion vessels fitted horizontally and a few with the water connection at the top, in the legionella advice it mentions...
Replies
Views
Hi, i've got a job with a Vaillant Ecotec 630 system boiler, and i don't know the full history but the house has definitely been extended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock