Search the forum,

Discuss Fire proof paint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

A builder I know put in an oil tank next to the (residential) barn he just built. He painted the ship lap with normal black, then over painted it with this amazing fire proof paint. Its transparent and goes on like meths, very thin. 2 coats and it meets all BS regs for fire proofing. They even send you a cerificate, Building Control were happy with it.
So, there goes all that orrible fire board Ive been using!! (it is £120 for 5 litres tho)

Attachments

• FirePaint.jpg
    FirePaint.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 78
and needs recoating on a regular basis especially if its outside, didnt say that on the tin though :)

and needs recoating on a regular basis especially if its outside, didnt say that on the tin though :)
Yup, I was waiting for you to knock it LP. From my 30 second research into the manufacturers online data sheet, it says
Protection Period: Fire retardant properties will remain active for the lifetime of the substrate.
Where did you get your product demeaning fact from?

Incidentally, the datasheet also says it only achieves Class 1 on ply. Not sure if that will cut it..I'd be interested to see how it works on ship lap etc, I guess while its all nice and tight its ok, but any loose planks or gaps wont be much good..

Rnli use a similar intumescent paint on all woodwork in the stations and it gets repainted regularly every time the stations get their maintenance routine as it breaks down according to the facilities managers. From experience, I looked into using it instead of firedoors in a listed building, and i gives 1/2 hour resistance if used correctly depending on the door and is accepted by buildings control. However I dont see it as working too well next to a flaming fuel tank myself. basically if paint only stays on for around 5 years outside how can a clever varnish do any better?

However I dont see it as working too well next to a flaming fuel tank myself
Fire barriers are used to protect the oil tank from a burning building/ fence etc not the other way round.

how can a clever varnish do any better?
Varnishes stay on the surface, if you took the time to read the info youd see this stuff soaks into the substrate.

Fire barriers are used to protect the oil tank from a burning building/ fence etc not the other way round.

Varnishes stay on the surface, if you took the time to read the info youd see this stuff soaks into the substrate.

Only stating the facts as I understand them from a practical usage. As you say it cant really work with shiplap as its not a sealed barrier. Re tank protection thats ok but I km=now Id rather be protected from a burning tank than bother if the house has already gone up in smoke. Anyhow go get a drink and stop being techy :)

Only stating the facts as I understand them..... Anyhow go get a drink and stop being techy :)
Sorry, yes, I do get tetchy and pernickety about people "stating facts" that are just assumed opinion, especially when its demeaning to a product/ person or even just another post. Anyone reading this post will read your reply and write the product off, just because you thought it might wear off. That sort of forum behaviour can make you appear negative and dimsissive.
LP, you are obviously a well experienced engineer and a good geezer, just try not to be so quick to pee on peoples fires :)

I knew about paint for indoors. It was used on a listed building I was working in because the heritage people wanted all the old doors to remain.

Didn't know about the stuff for outside, can't think off the top of my head where I would use it, but it's stored in there for future reference. Cheers bunker.

you need to mention to your builder friend that painting the shiplap then applying his fire resistant solution has probably not achieved its aim as the solution wont have soaked into the substrate, unless he painted the inside of the shiplap, as as you correctly mentioned, the aim is to prevent the fire burning through the wood to the tank. If his methology is used the wood will burn away leaving a paint skin only! Hence why it isnt that brilliant on ply as the glue stops it penetrating the substrate properly. [DLMURL]http://www.wis-ltd.com/products/fire%20protection/Zeroflame/Zeroflame%20Treatment%20Tech%20Data.pdf[/DLMURL] And my original comments were based on you calling it paint, but as you later said its a solution designed to penetrate the wood, hence my original comments. Just to note none of my comments were assumed just based on experience and your original title

Last edited by a moderator:
unless he painted the inside of the shiplap, as as you correctly mentioned, the aim is to prevent the fire burning through the wood to the tank.
I did think that as we started looking more into it, but as it soaks into the wood, it ought to be as good from one side as the other. Im assuming now that he painted this stuff on before the black otherwise he may have sealed the wood first which will render the job pointless...:willy_nilly:

A similar finish is used for timber interiors of vessels to comply with current SOLAS requirements, also used for fireproofing listed buildings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fire proof paint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Hi, We are in the process of getting a wood fired, and PV system installed, but have received conflicting advice from 3 different plumbers! We're working to a tight deadline too - and feel completely confused! Hoping someone here can shed some light. We have a 3 bed semi ex council house. We are...
Replies
Views
B
Another bit of info that might be helpful to new Plumbers are some observations about water FLOW. In the UK, water fixtures usually have a minimum water flow rate that is required to be met for them to work properly. Some of the most obvious are the combi boiler and the shower. Both of...
Replies
Views
bobpape
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock