Discuss fire in boiler house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

migoplumber

Went to a job yesterday, oil fired burner, complaints of co poisoning and soot in the upstairs property. ( coffee shop in a country park, offices upstairs. )

Got there quickly. the boxing around the flue had been removed upstairs.

had a quick visual inspection, didnt find anything to concern myself.

In the boiler house the flue passes through a fire ceiling, so i have my apprentice put a ladder up ( ladder allowed because scaffold not feasible ) and ask him to remove a section of the ceiling to expose the flue.

I decide now to turn off the oil supply, cap off and fire up the boiler/burner, thinking if theres anything obvious i might be able to find a draught somewhere on a flue connection.
I dry fired the boiler 4 times, found nothing.
my apprentice still in the back of the boiler house with his pad saw!

decided to smoke bomb flue now, and risk a bit more contamination

gone to van, got me orange bombs, come back.

apprentice still up ladder with pad saw.

i now open the boiler burner hinge to introduce smoke bomb. low and behold i have a pile of coke, covered in oil, and on fire! small fire inside burner.

i tell me apprentice, (still up ladder with padsaw dragging his job out), then casually nip next door to pick up co2 extinguisher

come back 30 seconds later spray the place with co2. fire out. peril ended!

My apprentice??? still up the ladder with his pad saw!!!!!!

i know theres quite a few bits to be learnt from this experience, but cant quite get to the moral of the story.

just found it funny that even though we had a potentially dangerous situation, my "drag the day out" apprentice, didnt even move off his ladder

anybody else have a similar apprentice? pad saw in one hand, mobile in the other, dreaming of the days end, and a night on the xbox whilst the world burns down around them??

shaun

thats the problem these days with youngsters which is why so few tradesman want to take them on..my son was lucky to be guided by a real nice guy and is now 20 and has gas tickets as well..some of them dont realise how lucky they are to be taken under the wing of a tradesman and being taught a valuable trade
recently my son and another more experienced guy were doing a ch install and were soldering a pipe passing thru a stud wall when it lit up..the other guy bareley made it halfway to his van my son was like a whippet into bathroom filled cup with water and was onto a refill as well doesnt like flames since a bad experience with a pop tart

Last edited by a moderator:
nice one newbie, youve given my apprentice his first task at tea break.
"make me a couple of pop tarts with me brew please"

lets see if he fares any better on that one.

shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fire in boiler house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock