Discuss Finding someone to take me on as an apprentice plumber at 37, how do I find someone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

textbook

I have heard that it is possible (difficult) to get an apprenticeship even at my age so want to try. Who do I call/mail or whatever? Should I just google plumbers in my local area and call them up?
I am already registered with my local college, just got to find an employer.

Re: Finding someone to take me on as an apprentice plumber at 37, how do I find someo

you never know your look someone on hear might be after someone. where you based would be a good start

Re: Finding someone to take me on as an apprentice plumber at 37, how do I find someo

Try this:

First thing in the morning go to a plumbing merchant and ask a trader if he needs a help. Do not ask - have you got a job for me? Or have you got anything going? Just – Do you need any help or hand? Don’t talk about money, unless you are struggling. Of course it’s up to you what you want to do about money side of it. You just need to get your foot in the door. You might spend a day or two with the guy and never see him again. But you really need to be switched on though, be a step ahead - passing right tools or fittings at the right time, whatever needs doing. And you never know, if you are saving the time for the dude and he likes you – you might stay with him for more then a day or two. You just have to deliver and work your socks off.
Nothing wrong with being 37.

Anyway, the above can work. Just give it a go, there’s nothing to lose.

Good luck!

Last edited:

You can try but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. With so many youngsters, many of them reasonably bright, presentable and reliable competing with you for a chance your age unfortunately puts you at a massive disadvantage.

Out of curiosity why chose plumbing? There's very little work out there for already qualified and experienced plumbers and it involves long hours with too many of those being unchargeable.
Personally if I were in your shoes i'd look elsewhere. Plumbing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Just watched Conan O'Brien talking about comedy and he said something which parrallels how I feel about plumbing sometimes:
"When it's going well i'll do it for free but when it's going not so well i'd rather be doing anything else."

Last edited by a moderator:

I like an optimist
Have you looked and seen how many plumbers are looking for work ?
There are lads willing to work for free out there
Their prices are dropping nigh on every day, just to get a days work, agencies books are full with plumbers wanting work
I wish you a lot of luck, you are certainly going to need it

You haven't told us where in the world you are.. A bit of local knowledge might help an enthusiastic apprentice.. :)

Edit: Just spotted bod's response, repeat unintentional!

Last edited by a moderator:

I am living in Bournemouth, willing to relocate if have to.

i wish you luck mate but the market is saturated

Don't give up textbook. I was in your position 4 years ago. I rang nearly every plumber in the yellow pages. I found that if you are courteous and polite, people are willing to give you other numbers for you to try. i finally got somewhere ringing the one liners. Don't try the big ads, their a waste of time.
I also found that some plumbers weren't taking on anymore school leavers as they were never punctual and often had days off. Be aware though that some also think that because your older your more likely to answer back.
After, a lot of broken promises, and 2 years, i had to leave that employer and find someone else. I used the internet this time to look up all the plumbers and builders within a 30 mile radius. I finally found someone and have not long passed my Gas.
I won't lie to you, as you well know the country as a whole is in a mess so it will be tough so i wish you luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Finding someone to take me on as an apprentice plumber at 37, how do I find someone? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock