Discuss Feedback on MET-UK required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to take the Master Plumber (Level 2 & 3) 9 week course with the additional 10th week to cover Part P Electrics.
Has anyone been on this course or heard anything good or bad about MET-UK (based in Rotherham).
They appear to be fully qualified with City & Guilds "A" rating and would appreciate any information.

Hi Madmart

Your in luck, I'm just on the part p section of the course, so can give you any feedback you want.
Overall it's been a good course, it's a good mix of theory and practical. Normally a couple of days in classroom, then practical then phase test on Fri morning. They throw in plumbing up a Hot water cylinder and also some central heating on the unvented which is good. The tutors are friendly and willing to help and go over things with you.
It was the cheapest I found that offered the same deals. You get the 6129 level 2, water regs, unvented, and part p at level 3 and they offer the NVQ assessments free when your out working - so long as you live within a certain distance from the centre! So be careful of that. The tiling wasn't much to write home about, just a quick heads up putting tiles up etc! Not sure if your looking at solar which is another option.
The tools were pretty beat up, they don't seem too keen to change them and the free tool kit isn't upto much really.
I suppose it's like any other centre, they give you the basics to get through the 6129 and exams and throw in some of their own experiences, but everything is based on passing.

Some of the guys on the course asked to do Part L as an add on which they did over 2 nights at an extra cost.

Just don't be fooled into thinking that this is the end of the cost though - you only get told about things later on, like joining the competent persons schemes and testing kits needed for part p. This course only covers defined scope so you can only do work relating to where you are working, ie new plug for washing machine, or new circuit for shower. The competent persons schemes costs £300+ and the test equipment from £500. If your thinking of going self employed you need these things!

The Heat membership is a waste of time, its an internal thing that is not set up properly, and the placement team seem to concentrate on the gas people.

It's like most things, you need to hassle them to get things done!

Some of the guys have been staying over at the hotel they use and I get the impression it's not of the greatest standard.

Hope this has given you some thing to think about. Obviously I can't compare it to others but they have given me everything I thought they would. Been in a group that has had a good laugh with the trainers who have given it back too, so that makes things tick on nicely.
10 weeks ago I knew nothing and everything was daunting, now it seems to make sense, so they must have taught me something.

Give me a shout if you need anymore info.

Now the really hard part comes - getting a job!!!! It's all about banging on doors and not being afraid of the knockbacks as them come!

Hi Caj,nice post indeed.Question,were you offered a work placement at all as their verbal literature states that work placements are available?I think anyone thinking of signing up for their Domestic Electrical course needs to visit the electrical forum and review the feedback that electricidiot received with regards to his/her enquiry about their part qualifications that they appear to offer!
Hope you are successful after spending a considerable amount of time/money.

They do offer a placement service of 2/4 weeks after you qualify, but as its not part of the course it's not something they push. We had to go ask a couple of times and no one has heard anything since, so we are assuming they haven't found anything!
This is the only disappointing part Of Met - the trainers are good but the backroom staff don't seem in any hurry to help. Trainers and admin seem to avoid each other!
Will have to go look at the electrics course as it's the first time they have run them I think.

Thanks Caj - really appreciate your post. I am leaning towards doing the BTSC course at Chessington as it is closer and will mean I don't have to fork out for hotel accommodation. I know the course will take a lot longer but with luck I might be able to get some work experience with a plumber a couple of days a week.
Good luck with the rest of your course and knocking on them doors!!

Hi MadMatt,I think the City&Guilds 'A' rating refers to their gas courses,better check with C&G,I could be wrong!

Hi, I've been thinking of doing this course and have been looking at different forums. Most seem promising. CAJ mentioned on 29-04-2008 that part L was extra but if you do the Master plumber with Solar it appears that it's included in the course at no extra cost i.e 4750 inclusive of VAT and that's good value compared to others like the money grabbing OLCI.

Unfortunately there's a requirement to join competent persons lists and these unfortunately cost good money, albeit they do give public-joe peace of mind so if self-employed may mean the difference between getting the work or not?

What I am unsure about is work placement. I know that they say they are able to offer work near to where you live but has anybody else had problems with this area of Met-UK?

Regards Jim

Master Plumber with Solar
C&G (6089) NVQ L2 Plumbing
C&G (6129) L2 Plumbing Studies
BPEC (Level 3) Solar Domestic Hot Water Systems
BPEC (Level 3) Energy Efficiency - Part L of the Building Regualtions (2005)
BPEC (Level 3) Unvented Hot Water
BPEC (Level 3) Water Regulations

Hi Jim,

I'm just finishing off a plumbing and solar course with Met UK, and as the other say, the trainers are very good, not all natural teachers in the classroom but pretty good on the practical side of things and to be honest thats where the need lies as the rest is all bookwork.

Certain areas of the course do feel a little rushed but you do cover a lot in a short space of time, and compared to other facilities I have been to visit the setup isn't bad.

That said, the two main selling points for me over a more local centre are the placement and the promise of an NVQ.

Both have been a major letdown, once you are away from the centre the placement team continually fob you off and I managed one week of a total of eight weeks set aside for placement, actually out with a company who I found myself. Some on my course faired better, others didn't get anything.

As for the NVQ - as previously stated, be careful here as Sales promised me a free NVQ regardless of where I live but if you're more than 25miles away this will cost you.

I hope this helps, happy to give you more info on the course if you want to get in touch

Paul

what is their ACS course like? do they get you the 6 months training with a gas engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Feedback on MET-UK required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back