Search the forum,

Discuss Fast-track course question (New Career Skills)... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

araico

Hi,

I've been in contact with NCS recently and went to have a chat with one of their lot earlier today about it all. He told me that, after getting the WRAS Water Supply Regulations qualification, I could look for work as a plumber's mate and earn about £1.5k per month whilst continuing to train with NCS to gain the rest of the qualifications the course offers (C&G 6128 L2, BPEC Electrical Domestic Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems, & Part P). All for £4995 which, apparently, includes some form of tool kit (for keeps) and "lifetime technical support assistance".

I realise that the best option to get into plumbing would be to do an apprenticeship which I would definitely go for, if I could live off of £80-£100 per week for the couple of years it'd take. There's also the niggle that it seems as though most employers prefer to take on school-leavers as opposed to slightly older people (I'm only 23 but those 7 years since leaving school seem to make a big difference!).
There's also the fact that there's not all that many places looking at the moment (30,000 vacancies my arse!).

So I was wondering - in your opinion - would it even be worth doing this fast-track thing, (attempt to) find a job as a plumber's mate whilst continuing with the NCS course and then gain more experience/confidence in the workplace alongside NVQ-qualified plumbers (perhaps heading toward an NVQ myself)...
Would completing the course really make me that much more attractive an applicant for a plumber's mate vacancy?

Sorry for rambling, I'm just getting so muddled up after being bombarded with so much information!

Oh and - I forgot - would it even be possible to train/gain NVQ working as a plumber's mate?

The NCS man I met with seemed more preoccupied with the fact that I'm female and with being oh-so politically correct... all the while eyeing up the totty in the café! :D

Apparently we can vote now too (!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Araico
I did the C&G 6129 level 2.This seems to be the main course people do,I think that the 6128 isn't as comprehensive as the 6129,so I've been told.
I paid £5621 and did it with OLCI in Bristol
I got the 6129,Part P and NVQ 2 all included.Some people seem to pay different amounts and get different things.

you pay your money and take your chance,most employers are looking for nvq 3 level and at least 4 years post training experience.they can do this because there are very few jobs at the moment.doing the course and working as a plumbers mate would be a good way to do it.that way you get tec side and experience.but it is hard these days to get even a plumbers mates job.it is also unfortunate that a lot of firms are reluctant to take on female staff.hopefully when the work picks up they will not be able to be so pickey,so good luck keep going you will get there

Hi Araico
I recently enrolled onto an 'advanced course' which cost £4.5k which I was advised would would get me to the basic level to start plumbing on my own, then obviously move onto NVQ 2 etc ...
The course got me accreditation in (6022, domestic copper pipe installation, 6032 - bathroom design and installation - citb unvented hot water and bpec water regs) but unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago I was told that this course meant nothing and that I needed to gain my 6129 to be even classed as a trainee level... which would obviously cost more £££££...
Although im gutted I have to cough up more cash, when I first started the course I new absolutely nothing about plumbing so I guess now my knowledge is better than before....
Liam

if you are going to do these cources,ask training companies to prove their claims,ie 30,000 plumbing jobs on offer in uk.our qualifications will get you a job etc.otherwise you could have spent your money for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fast-track course question (New Career Skills)... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock