Search the forum,

Discuss External hot and cold water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amc249

Hi All,
Looking for some advice/reassurance. Coming to the end of a loft conversion which includes an en suite. The builders we have used told us that running the hot and cold water pipes internally would cause damage to our existing bathroom/tiles. So their solution was to run the pipes externally. This happened very quickly and we are now concerned that the proposed solution was just to avoid doing repair work in the main bathroom and we might have a problem on our hands? Have attached a photo, the pipes have since been insulated.

Besides it not looking great, we are concerned about energy efficiency and potential for frozen pipes. If anybody can offer any reassurance or advice it would be much appreciated. We are not sure if we should be insisting that the pipes get boxed in etc for example or if the insulation will be enough.

Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20140218-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20140218-WA0004.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 94
I would have thought that the amount of "disturbance" to the bathroom would have far out wayed the ongoing headaches from lashing a bit of hep down the outside of the building!!

What do you do put 25mm lagging and box it packed with rockwool?? still a risk!!

What the bejesus! Has the building inspector been and looked at your job yet? I'm not wanting to worry you but plumber is a cowboy.

Call the local council and ask to speak to the inspector responsible for your area. Check that all the inspections are up to date and that there are no outstanding issues.

Post some pictures of the rest of the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
'The cowboy builders' you mean! They will freeze and burst very soon. Still a high chance even if you insulate and box in. We have had -19C the last 3 years and thats without wind chill factor as it at a height.

best of of it is his made a good job of running those pipes not easy to keep hep straight on brickwork but wrong on every other count i suppose they could be lagged boxed and trace heated

Oh dear, so we do have a bit of a problem! Thanks guys, this is really helpful, trace heating looks to be a good option. Bit concerned about building control post - are external pipes not going to get the green light?

...i have no words.....

if my family member just shelled out for a loft conversion and the plumber/builder did this id have their crown jewels.....

thats awfull workmanship!!

two sides to every story have you told the plumbers they cant damage the bathroom below? did you have a new expensive bathroom fitted just prior to the loft extension with out thinking ahead regarding getting pipes up stairs?

The main bathroom was put in 5 years ago and isn't expensive no. We never said that they couldn't go through the bathroom. We accepted there would be unavoidable damage to the house and have lost our carpet in the hall etc which we accept. One day they said we'll have to talk to you about running pipes through the bathroom, the next day they said don't worry we're going to run the pipes outside and then it was done. To be fair the rest of the work is good so they maybe genuinely thought this was the best option but we don't want to be left with something that will cause us problems in the future / be expensive to heat in winter etc.

What do you know about building control and regulations on water pipes? Thank you

i think really bad idea to have pipes run outside especially with the weather we`ve been having the last few years even when lagged they still freeze, i would have thought they could have found another alternative route inside as there was a lot of work being done for the conversion.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw that picture. Get em back to do it properly or tell them you will find somebody else and charge them

Building control will have a feild day. You say all looks ok, this is a really basic and amateur job so what important things have they - "found a solution to?" I would throw the builder off if a job if he allowed a plumber ( not real plumber) to do that. He must have standards lower than Billy's hop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to External hot and cold water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock