Discuss Expansion vessel pre charge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

You can see the various air space and water volumes below in a fairly basic spreadsheet.
If you wish, I can show you how I do these calcs.

System or HWC capacity7.00Litres
Vessel Capacity2.00Litres
Pre Charge Pressure1.90Bar.G
Pre Charge Pressure2.90Bar.A
Filling/supply Pressure3.50Bar.G
Filling Pressure4.50Bar.A
Air Space Vol1.29Litres
Reserve Water Vol0.71Litres
Expansion %1.83%
Expansion0.13Litres
Water Space Vol0.84Litres
Air Space Vol1.16Litres
Final Pressure5.00Bar.A
Final Pressure4.00Bar.G

Its recommended that the pre charge pressure is set 0.2bar lower then the cold water pressure at the cylinder, shown below, as it keeps the diaphragm away from the cylinder end and can help to prevent water hammer. In your case because the EV volume is huge (almost 30%) in comparison with the HW volume then the difference in final pressures between 1.9/3.3bar precharge pressures is only 0.2bar.

System or HWC capacity7.00Litres
Vessel Capacity2.00Litres
Pre Charge Pressure3.30Bar.G
Pre Charge Pressure4.30Bar.A
Filling/supply Pressure3.50Bar.G
Filling Pressure4.50Bar.A
Air Space Vol1.91Litres
Reserve Water Vol0.09Litres
Expansion %1.83%
Expansion0.13Litres
Water Space Vol0.22Litres
Air Space Vol1.78Litres
Final Pressure4.82Bar.A
Final Pressure3.82Bar.G

So with the 2 litre expansion vessel having a charge of 1.9bar it won't really effect its performance in this case? The ones usually get are silver with a pre-charge of 3.5 bar I believe. The standing pressure of the system is 4 bar. No pressure reducer is currently fitted. I'm adding controls to a little under sink heater that at the moment has a vented tap that is broke. And a replacement is around £100. So cheaper to add a 6 bar pressure relief below the sink and expansion. Cold water draw off too close to allow expansion in to the mains

It’s a drip tap so you can’t install expansion vessel as the unit isn’t rated for pressure it’s open vented

what’s broken on the tap ?

It's a little 7 litre unvented cylinder. Its fed of the mains. It makes a racket when used have stripped down and re-grease to no luck. Or no luck till some one turns it too tight again.

That's what's on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210228_204942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210228_204942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 14
That’s the thing it’s not unvented it’s gravity / equal pressure

the heater isn’t under pressure it’s always open to atmosphere hence when it’s heating the tap will drip most people try and tighten it down more which just breaks them

That’s the thing it’s not unvented it’s gravity / equal pressure

the heater isn’t under pressure it’s always open to atmosphere hence when it’s heating the tap will drip most people try and tighten it down more which just breaks them
Thats what's happened yes. So a pressure relief and expansion valve under the sink won't work on this heater?

Reply to Expansion vessel pre charge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I have done pressure test for 2" high pressure pipe line by closing the pipe with rubber plugs at the ends. It was 3 bar and I kept it for 24...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock