Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion position heat only boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I know when installing an expansion vessel it must be connected to the system without any isolation valves. How is best to pipe in to the system so it can't be isolated. In the diagram below a potential way I was going to pipe in to a heat only boiler. It could be isolated by isolating the boiler return isolation valve. This is a valve I would be adding to the system as boiler comes without isolation valves. And closing the filter isolation valves. So I presume this isn't great. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_180405.jpg
    IMG_20210220_180405.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 20
There will be a diagram in the manufacturers instructions Matt what boiler you installing mate ? Regards kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210220-184601.png
    Screenshot_20210220-184601.png
    502.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210220-184730~3.png
    Screenshot_20210220-184730~3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
The way I look at it in regards to isolation valves is if anything requires tools to turn off it’s fine eg lockshield gate valves but stuff like butterfly and lever valves arnt

Expansion vessels are not a safety device as they can fail and fill with water with exactly the same effect as isolating it, the boiler PRV is the safety device, not required in this instance but there are nice combined isol+drain valves that can be installed in the outlet from the E.vessel which IMO should be fitted in all cases as it makes a very easy job of checking the pre charge pressure without draining the whole system down, I doubt if this check is included in a normal yearly service.

Attachments

• Expansion Vessel Isolation.pdf
    312.8 KB · Views: 9
There will be a diagram in the manufacturers instructions Matt what boiler you installing mate ? Regards kop
It's a ideal instinct heat 60kw. So similar to an evomax. So semi commercial. The manufacturers are asking for the pressure relief on the flow. Boiler comes with female threaded connections to accept a male thread. So will be adding the boiler isolation valves myself. I rang them up the definitely want the prv.

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_203441.jpg
    IMG_20210220_203441.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 17
Or like that? I just wonderd with it being the boiler side of the isolation valves it could potentially be isolated from the system if both boiler isolation valves where turned off. Is this a problem? I would be fitting the valves 28mm levers? I could possibly leave the lever valve off on the return and just use the filter iso valves. But not sure if needed a repair ideal would accept that as isolation to the boiler.

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_204614.jpg
    IMG_20210220_204614.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 13
You can't add isolation valves to the boiler if there's no internal PRV or expansion. There's a reason if it doesn't come with iso valves.

Someone could close the iso valves on the boiler and turn it on.

Sorry, just seen your diagram with the PRV before the valves. That would be fine.

Or like that? I just wonderd with it being the boiler side of the isolation valves it could potentially be isolated from the system if both boiler isolation valves where turned off. Is this a problem? I would be fitting the valves 28mm levers? I could possibly leave the lever valve off on the return and just use the filter iso valves. But not sure if needed a repair ideal would accept that as isolation to the boiler.
Be careful with these Matt I just had a look in the installation manual and as I said earlier there is a diagram for installation the pump position is very important and it has to be wired directly into the boiler been a while since I did one of these , your gas supply pipework and gas meter size could also be a issue this boiler is creeping into commercial gas . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-072135.png
    Screenshot_20210221-072135.png
    268 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210221-073936.png
    Screenshot_20210221-073936.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210221-074019.png
    Screenshot_20210221-074019.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
Be careful with these Matt I just had a look in the installation manual and as I said earlier there is a diagram for installation the pump position is very important and it has to be wired directly into the boiler been a while since I did one of these , your gas supply pipework and gas meter size could also be a issue this boiler is creeping into commercial gas . Kop

A 60 kw boiler will consume ~ 6.6 M3/hr @ 85% efficiency. so greater than domestic meter sizing of 6M3/hr?.

Thank you yes the firm has a commerical guy they get in. He will be doing the gas connection and commissioning. I did notice the diagram in the instructions that shows the pump on the return. Was going to mention this. Any idea of the reasoning for this.

Thank you yes the firm has a commerical guy they get in. He will be doing the gas connection and commissioning. I did notice the diagram in the instructions that shows the pump on the return. Was going to mention this. Any idea of the reasoning for this.
Will be one pump doing the whole system no low loss header or separt pump for the primarys.

Hydraulically don't know if it makes a difference except that its overcoming the boiler Hx head loss on the discharge side rather than the return side, if installed on the return it will run cooler which may extend the life of these electronic pumps, also it will extend the life of the EV as this should be installed as close as possible to the pump return, this means that the whole system runs at a higher overall head which, even though unlikely with a sealed system, helps to prevent air ingress.
Your system has a cold EV head of 10M, assuming a pump head of 3.5M, the pump return will always be at 10M and the discharge at 13.5M with the EV installed before the pump and a pump return of 6.5M and discharge of 10M with EV installed after the pump. Some say this is of little importance.
It would be interesting to see where the pump and EV are installed in system boilers.

Here is one installation.

1613916325249.png

Last edited:
Thanks I may ring technical to confirm the preferd position of the pump. I did notice on there drawing the expansion vessel is positioned so it can be isolated from the boiler by the boiler isolation valves. Guess this is acceptable then?

I did wonder if it makes a difference with the pump on the manufacturers diagram. Being a pump to take the water to the low loss header then taken of this with other pumps for each zone. This installation is just one pump for the system no low loss header.

I did wonder if it makes a difference with the pump on the manufacturers diagram. Being a pump to take the water to the low loss header then taken of this with other pumps for each zone. This installation is just one pump for the system no low loss header.
What is the proposed pump make/model if available and how many zones?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-151238.png
    Screenshot_20210221-151238.png
    318.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210221-151254.png
    Screenshot_20210221-151254.png
    396.2 KB · Views: 16
Just add your filter below the right hand isolating valve Matt. Cheers kop 👍

Attachments

• PXL_20210221_155623894.jpg
    PXL_20210221_155623894.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210221_182040826.jpg
    PXL_20210221_182040826.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Reply to Expansion position heat only boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock