Discuss Ex army plumber looking for a chance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Niallmat

Hi all,

I have seen alot of people asking the same question but thought I would give it ago.

Recently just left the army Level 2 plumber basically looking for someone around south west Scotland, or ***bria that could take me on to further my plumbing experience. Willing to do work experience.

If anyone has any advice it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Niall

Hi, good luck in your search pal.
Out of interest, were you a plumber in the army, or did you take a course when you left the army?
A cousin of mine left the army and they offered him a training course as a kind of civvy kick start thing.

Well I did the course 6129 level2 when I was straight out of school before I joined. I joined the Royal Engineers as plumber. But Had to do the course again due to the fact I wasn't Level 3 NVQ. Waste of time!!!

The problem I have is I have knowledge but no experiance!!

Those courses are basically a waste of time I think.

Yeah I know!! Haha! Would love some experiance, I would be willing to relocate if anyone has any thing! I was thinking of writing to local plumbers with a copy of my c.v and a copy of my army report. Would you recomend this, or are they more likely to chuck it in the bin???

Give it a go. That's how I got my practical experience although it took nearly 100 letters before I found someone to give me a try and was paid expenses only. Having said that, the experience was invaluable and I can't thank the guy enough.

I would recommend that you get liability insurance in place first and include details in your letter/cv.

Would having the liability insurance make it more appeling to someone?? How much would it be ruffley?

£350 ish. Might be able to find it for under £300 - depends on cover.

Best of luck with finding something.

Looked into it, found it cheapest around 300, the only thing is I dont really want to buy it incase I dont get anything. Should I mention in a letter that if they would take me on I would be willing to take out my own liability insuance?

A plumber who is a sole trader will probably only have cover for himself and probably wouldn't want the extra expense of adding you to his policy. I have £2M cover and it costs me £225.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ex army plumber looking for a chance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial...
Replies
Views
I’m due to finish my level 2 next year and I am looking for a plumbers mate work to gain some more experience, I have a basic theory knowledge in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just recently completed my Level 2 City & Guilds Plumbing Course and am now looking for bit of work / experience working alongside an...
Replies
Views
This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock