Discuss Electrics and the pet hamster (hammy) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob the plumber

Hi, im a regularish poster on this site being a qualified plumber gas engineer/installer and im also part p defined scope qualified so if i put a boiler in ill happily wire it up. however having thought i had an idea of how electrics work the kids pet hamster has just gone and confused me. Having escaped 24 hours ago un-beknown to myself it had decided to up sticks behind the washing machine and for bedding had decided to help itself to the sleeving of the washing machine cable and also part enojyed a rite good nibble at the cold flexible hose. Thing that gets me is it had completley chewed through the neutral side of the wire and had freyed the cable......how the hell is my furry friend still alive?

Hamsters are almost totally made from rubber with a coating of fur

Theres no voltage on a neutral

well i thought that, however it was on a ring main with other live appliances so is that completely true??

I would of thought that the path of neural would have a less resistance than the hamster. So it would of all gone to neutral. Got no need to go thru the hamster

You can get a slight voltage on the neutral if there is phase imbalance

you can get a voltage on the neutral, you will not see it very well on your tester's because you are testing between neutral and earth which has the same potential. When you test for voltage you are testing for the potential difference between two points.

as for the hamster, luck little furrball. :)

Thats the wonderful world of electricity , very weird.

"maybe the hamster had rubber boots"

If the hamster had chewed the live cable again prob would live to spin another wheel.

I visited a flooded property with water above the power points, the rcd had not tripped.

Apparently Rcd trip on rapid/ sudden faults to earth, not a gradual change in potential. As the water slowly rose the rapid change in potential did not occur. Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrics and the pet hamster (hammy) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock