Discuss electrician vs gas engineering in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I just speak like that, what’s wrong with abbreviation? How else do you want me to tell you I performed well? 😂😂
We all speak like that. It isn't generally accepted as good practice, however, to abbreviate words in written English. Acronyms (e.g. BBC, HMRC, NI) are acceptable, but shorthand such as rads, hex, bio and chem are not. There is, of course, a grey area and most people would accept 'bus', 'bra', 'pram', and 'maths' as if they were not abbreviations at all, and, in all but formal contexts, it is now common to see abbreviations such as 'weren't' and 'can't'.

Further, and I'm speaking for myself here but I think others will agree, if you have the educational background to be able to write 'correctly', it is respectful to others if you do so. In your case, it would have saved gmartine the time that was spent answering the question you didn't intend had you been clearer what you meant by 'dying'.

In fairness to you, though, we all know A levels are not as academic as they used to be and you can obtain 3 very respectable grades without perfect spelling , punctuation, and grammar. Had you listed English Literature as a subject you studied and obtained an AA/A*/whatever the hell they call it now in, I would have expected perfection, but as you have concentrated on sciences, I'm ('I am') not calling bullshit.

And this is a web forum after all, not a formal letter!

Last edited:
I just speak like that, what’s wrong with abbreviation? How else do you want me to tell you I performed well?
Don't worry about all the negativity on here aurora some of us have less patience than others, you will find as you go through your life you really do need to communicate well customers, employers, others you work with need you to fully understand them, and also be understood yourself it's vitality important as health and safety plays a big part in the building trade, mistakes are made and quite often they could of been avoided if people communicated better.
Now career wise ? we we're all 18 years old once and I like you didn't really know what I wanted to do but it's a decision you need to make and you need to do it now really, there are less opportunities now with the pandemic and companies and employers want the best candidates with the best grades any of the two trades will provide a good career for you, but as others have said you need a bit of passion you really don't won't to be stuck doing a job you hate, so it's either you get some experience in both trades before making that decision or you jump in and go for one or the other no one can make that decision but you. Best of luck Kop

Chemical engineering graduates starting out could expect £35k. 10 years in, £150k min. Plumber tops @ £35k career best
According to the IChemE 2018 salary survey the median new graduate salary was £28.4k. The median salary for chartered chemical engineers in the 30-34 yr age band, i.e. '10 years in' was £56k.

I don't know where your figure for '£35k career best' comes from but it's a long way short of what's possible:

According to the IChemE 2018 salary survey the median new graduate salary was £28.4k. The median salary for chartered chemical engineers in the 30-34 yr age band, i.e. '10 years in' was £56k.

I don't know where your figure for '£35k career best' comes from but it's a long way short of what's possible:

I was thinking the same 🤔

I was thinking the same 🤔
Yeah, but don't mistake what's possible in terms of salary with what's likely. £35k is probably not far from the median salary for a plumber employed by a company in a part of the country where the cost of living is 'average'. That's why so many take the self-employed path.

OP: It's been pointed out to me that what you need to charge per hour =

(your desired annual salary + overheads) / your desired annual working hours.

It really is that simple.

A plumber that earns £210,000 per year? Okay. So assume you work a 38-hour week and take 5.6 weeks' holiday and want a taxable income of £210,000, that takes £119 per hour (after you've paid all your expenses). Obviously your hourly rate needs to be higher than this to cover expenses and also to cover time spent travelling, time spent quoting, time spent cleaning the van and buying tools which you won't invoice for, and people who waste your time. You're going to struggle to find customers willing to pay whatever you estimate that final hourly rate to be, unless you are carrying out emergency repairs in London all day every day.

The "Mail" lets it slide that the plumber works 50 hours a week, plus is on call Monday and Tuesday nights. So 78-hour weeks, possibly. Being self-employed, he may not even take a holiday, but I'm assuming 5.6 weeks' holiday anyway. If there are no unchargeable hours and no expenses (accountant, insurance etc), he's probably earning £58 an hour. Not all of us are up to working those kinds of hours. I suppose he won't live to take much in the way of pension, but the "Mail" loves this kind of story for reasons that would be off-topic.

I'm encouraged that you want to do plumbing because you're 'interested'. That's a better reason than the perceived money (and my feeling is that if you never stop studying and changing, your business will always be sustainable). But forget £210,000 a year otherwise you're just running on a hedonic treadmill.

Reply to electrician vs gas engineering in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock