Discuss electrician vs gas engineering in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Dear Aurora,

I'm going to ask you a curve ball question first. I note no maths A level (and beyond)

a) Is that something you might like to do (you are still plenty young enough)
b) are you in a position financially to do that?

Remember you can learn yourself now from the internet, if the teaching you are subject to is no good.

Personally I'd go for the gas, it just seems more satisfying work to me (do the electrics as well as a second string, you would be very valuable then)

Now are you in good physical shape and have ability to stay that way? (Professional Trades are tough. At 18 we all think we are indestructible. . . .)

P.S. Is molecular biology not of interest ? I think there will be amazing opportunities there as we enter the age of fully scientific medicine (Please put the COVID hoo ha to one side if thinking about that)

P.P.S. I'll have to think about the Psychology . . .

Cheers,

Roy (I avoided Chemistry after A level because at 18 I thought it was deadly. Its what keeps us alive . . . . )

Dear Aurora,

I'm going to ask you a curve ball question first. I note no maths A level (and beyond)

a) Is that something you might like to do (you are still plenty young enough)
b) are you in a position financially to do that?

Remember you can learn yourself now from the internet, if the teaching you are subject to is no good.

Personally I'd go for the gas, it just seems more satisfying work to me (do the electrics as well as a second string, you would be very valuable then)

Now are you in good physical shape and have ability to stay that way? (Professional Trades are tough. At 18 we all think we are indestructible. . . .)

P.S. Is molecular biology not of interest ? I think there will be amazing opportunities there as we enter the age of fully scientific medicine (Please put the COVID hoo ha to one side if thinking about that)

P.P.S. I'll have to think about the Psychology . . .

Cheers,

Roy (I avoided Chemistry after A level because at 18 I thought it was deadly. Its what keeps us alive . . . . )
I got a levels of AA in bio and chemistry, initially wanted to do chemical engineering but couldn’t move out. Because of lockdown I lost complete interest and just got interested into the trade.i heard a lot of people are doing gas and you must do plumbing before gas so I’m really really confused for which one to go for. TBH I’m more interested in the theory part.

Hi KOP,

Do you think the hydrogen down the gas mains is a pipe dream ? (I'm in two minds). Roger B. talks about existence of Pilot schemes.

Cheers,

Roy
Its happening right now Roy there's a hydrogen blending trial being carried out in Winlaton Gateshead early 2021 so it's coming, more training we will have to do and more money to pay out for the qualification.Regards Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-174321.png
    Screenshot_20210209-174321.png
    586.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
He knew what I meant but is just Soding about
Well I didn't know what you meant either, to be fair.

Have you an opportunity to get some site experience? If you don't have contacts already, perhaps you could do as I did and get a Construction Site Operative card or the new equivalent? Apparently the new Labourer's card needs a Level 1 qualification which you should find relatively easy (but do check the exact requirements and remember there are sometimes ways around obstacles... once you know what the obstacles are!) and then you can get some temp work with Hays Construction or whoever is in your area. It might give you a chance to see what the trades are actually like, at least to some degree (site work, domestic, and commercial will, of course have their individualities). That's if work is available at present.

Given the Covid situation, if you want to study, now might be a good time as one might hope for some level of economic uplift when this hopefully clears up, though I realise many courses follow the academic year.

I do feel it is a major failing of the education system that academically gifted people are forced out of school at 18 and feel a need to decide on an HE path at that age, when they often haven't a clue what they want to do in life, career-wise. To be honest, a year's work experience is no bad thing and you may decide on a degree-level course in construction management after that. Or you may never want to see another building site.

I think you need to be honest with yourself - are you looking for job satisfaction or which is the most lucrative strand?

The are three / four sectors : Electrical - Renewables ( air / ground and water source) - gas with plumbing and plumbing.

For renewables you will need to be a decent plumber / pipe fitter - generally larger diameter pipes and properly designed heating systems ( or they don’t work). The electrical element is also generally in the area of 30 to 40 amp connections - to trade alone or as a Company in domestic renewables you will need MCS accreditation. High average contract values.

Gas is an excellent qualification - a good stepping stone to move into renewables or other sectors. In my experience you need a large Customer base to keep the volume of work coming through. The future impact of no gas in new builds will be felt - manufactures will turn away from launching new products into the market. Hydrogen? Who knows? Coal ( or Towns) gas was predominantly hydrogen albeit with embedded CO2 and CO - so the technology to convert is there - but safety standards are higher now.

Electrical - to me there seems to be a high volume of work - most properties in the Uk are limited by their incoming electrical supply - you can charge an electric car or have a heat pump - but rarely both on a single phase supply.

Be careful of trying to be a Jack of all Trades - the ongoing accreditation costs Gas Safe, Oftec, MCS, et al are not insignificant and involve ongoing training

Its happening right now Roy there's a hydrogen blending trial being carried out in Winlaton Gateshead early 2021 so it's coming, more training we will have to do and more money to pay out for the qualification.Regards Kop
Yep, I'm not sure about all the range but the Viessman 200 is already hydrogen mix compliant or hydrogen ready and over time will be able to be converted to 100% hydrogen I suspect with a change of burner, so the boiler as a means of home heating is by no means dead or dying.

To the OP...I'm not sure you're really cut out for this given your interests and qualifications, it's tough out there at the moment especially for youngsters but if you really have the grades and can hang on for six months then you maybe be better off applying for something more theoretical. Whether that's HE or FE or OU or even an apprenticeship...you could get a head start now and start researching and applying for September/October entry.

Hi

I'm confused on whether to do a gas course and become a gas engineer or do some electrical course. I'm 18 and didn't apply for university; and I did a levels in bio, chem and psychology and did good on them. But someone introduced to the gas trade and got quite interested. I don't mind do either but i need help deciding which would be most best in terms quickly settling in to the trade and which trade is less dying

Quote Reply
bio chem and psychology (no one abbreviates their A Levels like this) "I did good on them" LOL...."which is less dying" I'm calling this one as BS....

I got a levels of AA in bio and chemistry, initially wanted to do chemical engineering but couldn’t move out. Because of lockdown I lost complete interest and just got interested into the trade.i heard a lot of people are doing gas and you must do plumbing before gas so I’m really really confused for which one to go for. TBH I’m more interested in the theory part.
BS

Reply to electrician vs gas engineering in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock