Discuss electrician vs gas engineering in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I'm confused on whether to do a gas course and become a gas engineer or do some electrical course. I'm 18 and didn't apply for university; and I did a levels in bio, chem and psychology and did good on them. But someone introduced to the gas trade and got quite interested. I don't mind do either but i need help deciding which would be most best in terms quickly settling in to the trade and which trade is less dying

Quote Reply

less dying? less risk of dying or less trying?

Interesting question...if you're concerned about killing yourself you probably have a better chance electrocuting yourself than gassing yourself or blowing yourself up. Doing gas work despite the Hollywood perception its quite difficult to fill a place with gas and then have it light accidentally and unnoticed. A gas main ruptured in my road and the whole street was evacuated, well I stayed and yeah the workmen were pretty casual about it as thousands of litres of gas p****ed out. They might as well have been smoking tabs they were so horizontal, anyway you take my point if the gas isn't confined and there's no spark source there isn't a great deal of danger.

Gaswork is harder on the body. We are dealing with heat, chemicals, heavy boilers and lots of kit, a leccy just needs a screwdriver and a pair of snips, ;)

If you are reasonably dexterous, like building stuff and have good spatial awareness I'd say put plumbing / gas as first choice. If you enjoy diagrams, making measurements and trying to deduce logically what they are telling you I'd put electrical work as 1st choice.

Both trades are hard work but they can be interesting. If you stay in the domestic area you should probably aim to become self-employed or a co-owner once you have a decade or so of experience so try to pick up some business skills as you go. You need to pay more attention to health and safety than my generation did or you'll only have about 25 years before something, often bad knees, stops you in your tracks.

If you are reasonably dexterous, like building stuff and have good spatial awareness I'd say put plumbing / gas as first choice. If you enjoy diagrams, making measurements and trying to deduce logically what they are telling you I'd put electrical work as 1st choice.

Both trades are hard work but they can be interesting. If you stay in the domestic area you should probably aim to become self-employed or a co-owner once you have a decade or so of experience so try to pick up some business skills as you go. You need to pay more attention to health and safety than my generation did or you'll only have about 25 years before something, often bad knees, stops you in your tracks.
What would you say is best overall? I know every course suits everyone different. But for
The future what will be more better etc

He knew what I meant but is just Soding about
I really wasn't or I wouldn't have bothered with the lengthy answer. Anyhow try and do both, pretty handy having both trades as they will always be needed although the gas side of things is due for a change in terms how folks will heat their homes. Electrical theory will be the same, you want a definitive answer to decide your future which isn't reasonable. Do your research and go to the Electrical forum, talk to the course tutors and see what they say to get a balanced idea.

Wind power will be the biggest producer of power hear in the UK in the near future by 2025 no gas will be connected to new build properties?, air source will be the go to form of heat fossil fuels will still play a major part in some form for the next 20 years in my opinion, your obviously a bright pupil if you could find a renewable energy position I would probably say go down that route in some way either domestically or commercially with the many power companies now investing in wind technology . Regards Kop

Last edited:
Wind power will be the biggest producer of power hear in the UK in the near future by 2025 no gas will be connected to new build properties?, air source will be the go to form of heat fossil fuels will still play a major part in some form for the next 20 years in my opinion, your obviously a bright pupil if you could find a renewable energy position I would probably say go down that route in some way either domestically or commercially with the many power companies now investing in wind technology . Regards Kop
Hi KOP,

Do you think the hydrogen down the gas mains is a pipe dream ? (I'm in two minds). Roger B. talks about existence of Pilot schemes.

Cheers,

Roy

Reply to electrician vs gas engineering in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock