Discuss Electric v Gas Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffrey Silvers

We currently have an oil-fired central heating system. Gas is being laid to our village in jan 2013. Current quote for installation (incl removal of old boiler/tank and £400 boiler scrappage) is around £2000.

I have recently become aware of electric condensing boilers which look substantailly cheaper (for the actual boiler). Is there a great difference in running costs? and how would I calculate what size boiler I need?

thanks

Due to the cost !work one out for your house (Kw) then compair price !!

Electric will be more expensive to run than mains gas. Electric costs more per kw/hr than gas does.
Electric doesn't condense. There is nothing to condense. They are however about 98% or so efficient.

@dancinplumba (posted a link, but not sure the mods will allow it)
but, for example:-
[h=1]EHC SLIMLINE Electric Boiler 12kW Single Phase FUSSL12kW coming in at around £950.[/h]
or
[h=1]Trianco Aztec Classic Electric Central Heating Boiler - 9kW around £525[/h]
Do they cost a lot more to install? (than a Gas system)

@tamz - ok..perhaps they don't condense...but they seem to do a similar job

What size is the property or what size is old oil boiler (kWs) ?? the electrical boilers are normally only rated up to 12kW Max so if above this you would need a supply upgrade as most houses are limited to max 100amp.

Last edited:
Get a quote from someone ! but will also need quote from Electrican to upgrade power supply

As tams sez, nat gas is the cheapest to run unless you generate your own leccy or get it for nowt :)
they are efficient at point of use but power stations I believe are only about 35% eff

They cost about the same to install. Instead of a gas supply and a flue you need a spark to run a 10mm cable.
Those are what is called flow boilers. They are the most expensive electric boilers to run as you cannot take advantage of off peak tarrifs.

The next step up is something like an Electromax. This has an inbuilt hw cylinder but still uses a flow boiler for the heating. These can take some advantage of off peak supplies to heat the hw cylinder.

Then there are the thermal store types like these
All Electric Central Heating Systems
These cost less to run because the water for the heating is heated and stored at off peak times.

If you can get on mains gas that is still the cheapest option.

What size is the property or what size is old oil boiler (kWs)

Unfortunately it's so old that I can't read the plates...it's a Warmflow (Oil fired), but it's costing circa £250 per month in oil

@tamz..& @dancinplumba - thanks for the link and the suggestions...looks like I need to speak to an electrician first

many thanks for your help :smile5:

What was the make and model of the gas boiler was you quoted for?

thanks for all the advice everyone...I think Gas is probably the way forward

@Orry...It's a Worcester Bosch 28 Junior Condensing Boiler

Good old BG pushing worcester boilers ! thought they were being discontinued ? or so I heard ,

Hmm!

I can imagine in twenty years time electricity may be the cheapest to run. But then it depends how successful "fraking" works out. In the US gas prices are virtually on the floor because of it. Here though you know what its like they will probably find some excuse to put prices up not down. Then there are all the environmental aspects of gas pollutants to be considered as well.

I think tidal power could help a lot, but we do not seem to hear much about it, the same with fuel cell development. The thing is they produce electricity not gas.

I'd go for a boiler that is easy to convert to (and back from) LPG running off a four pack until mains gas is installed then change over.

Hmm!

I can imagine in twenty years time electricity may be the cheapest to run. But then it depends how successful "fraking" works out. In the US gas prices are virtually on the floor because of it. Here though you know what its like they will probably find some excuse to put prices up not down. Then there are all the environmental aspects of gas pollutants to be considered as well.

I think tidal power could help a lot, but we do not seem to hear much about it, the same with fuel cell development. The thing is they produce electricity not gas.
What about hydrogen fuel cell ? Could a boiler run on hydrogen ? That's good idea

Wouldn't even look at an electric boiler, would consider an air source heat pump though depending on your house and it's heat loss. Might get paid for the heat you produce next year and you'll get £800 towards the install cost.

if you wait until next year though you won't get the tariffs due to having gas. That said gas may still be the better option.

Last edited:
Keep your oil; if it's not broken, don't fix it.

If it stops working, then maybe. If there is nothing wrong with it, keep it oil.

Yes dancinplumba, I suspect somebody somewhere is trying to do just that. I was surprised a few years ago to learn Rolls Royce were going into fuel cell technology with the idea of replacing district and local electric transformers with fuel cells. It seems only wind power gets the headlines. The many different sort of heat engines are also good but unfortunately usually only as a top up and I suppose many are impractical to install in cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric v Gas Boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has developed a 'fault' recently. When I switch the heating on, the fire in boiler starts for a second or...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install...
Replies
Views
P
I currently live in a 4 bed end of terrace victorian house, with 11 radiators and two towel rails. Currently have installed a 6kw potterton gold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
D
we had a grant condensing boiler fitted last year, the lad works for a heating company and said would fit it. when he did he put the pipes all...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock