Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Eggy smell from gas boiler??? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

hi guys had a customer on the phone about the boiler producing a eggy smell?? I’ve been round with my gas sensor and flue gas analyser around the flue but all good! He read online something about the burner producing this eggy smell?! It’s all new to me. The boiler was not in use for a few month as the place was getting decorated. I though it might be the paint on the walls but they left the boiler running over one night and return home and the kitchen was stinking.. any advice please

2. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Call the gas supplier
    They can test properly for carbon monoxide etc

3. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

What boiler was it ? had a ideal icos with a partially blocked sump which smelled pretty bad just a thought . Kop

4. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Who do you actually mean? Gas suppliers don't do gas work, and the emergency service (NG/Cadent etc) dont carry FGA's. They only check for gas leaks.

Unless something has changed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If you have done all the tests you can I would advise the home owner call the grid. They have better gas sniffers, carbon monoxide detecting equipment.

6. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

Read up on Hydrogen Sulphide. Tell the customer not to use the Boiler until the source has been identified and dealt with.
    That's my advice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

No. They dont have CO gear. But their gas sniffers are awesome.

8. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

They won't get involved in the investigation side of very much. They tend to make safe and advise you to get a GSR Engineer to do the rest.
    The CO detection equipment I have seen them use in my area is for their own personal safety. Air quality monitoring in industrial premises or plant rooms etc is where I have seen them most. I don't know what they do in other areas of the country.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

vokera linea combi. There's a co alarm directly above the combi that hasn't been activated. I used my anton gas sniffer and there was no gas leak.

10. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

our bed often has an eggy smell
    maybe I will get Angela tested its okay when I go up,1st
    centralheatking

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

After a jar of pickle eggs washed down with fizzy coke

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Ihave no idea of the industrial stuff, but, yes, they may now have personal CO alarms, as I do. But they do not carry kit to repair boilers or investigate CO issues. TOFO is their remit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR

Carbon Monoxide is odourless and tasteless hence the nickname “the silent killer”. Just sayin’;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Haha. good point. The decorator probably dropped his egg sarny behind the boiler :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Gold Gas

Gold Gas GSR

I got called to something similar, it turned out to be the washing machine lol.

Most co alarms should be between 1 and 3 metres from the appliance, if its directly above might be too close, just for future reference.
    Let us know if you find the source of the smell.
    U sprayed the burner test point on the gas valve?
    Is the flue close to a window? Poc can smell or any unburt gas