Search the forum,

Discuss Drip from Filling Loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

Just bought a new house and for the first time, have my very own boiler! However......the filling loop has a drip coming from the "in" pipe by the looks of things. From what I have read so far, it seems to be a relatively easy fix, and with my boiler service not for another 6 weeks, thought I can do it myself. So, to test my knowledge, could you confirm if I have the right idea?

1) Switch off mains tap
2) Run kitchen tap until it goes dry
3) Disconnect current filling loop (assume it is the nut over the valves?)
4) Install new FL (anyone know what type I have?)
5) Switch on mains tap
6) Cross fingers
7) Repressurise boiler

Did I miss anything out?

Ta,

Chris

IMG_0107.jpgIMG_0108.jpg

drain the heating system down but other than that yes

Is there a particular way to do that, or just a case of running the water out of the radiators until dry?

you can disconnect the filling loop cold water side and open the heating side into a bucket might need to empty the bucket a few times but should be fine

No need to drain system. Sealed system will create its own vacuum once pressure is released.
With water main off and boiler cool, disconnect left side of flexible, the one that comes off 15mm cold feed.
Point hose to bucket and open both valves. If non return valve stops water coming out, disconnect flexible part of hose and push small screwdriver into valve to release water. (Alternative is to take water out via air vent on radiator or system drain down point.)
Keep nuts and olives on copper pipes as these can normally be reused.
With new fill loop, orientate non return valve to fit directly off cold feed, this will allow an easy way to release pressure in future. To maintain vacuum only have system open at one point, ie close air vent/ drain down. before completing work.

Thanks folks, really helpful. Only pain in the rear is that the stop tap is behind the blooming washing machine which is a tight old fit. Hey ho

you could think about fitting a surestop after the stopcock then you wouldn't need to pull the washing machine out

Ok, so new loop on. Only thing is that the connection to the mains cold water tap went on very easily. It's not loose, but a sharp tug and it'll come off. What can I do to secure it, or should it just push on?

Ok, so new loop on. Only thing is that the connection to the mains cold water tap went on very easily. It's not loose, but a sharp tug and it'll come off. What can I do to secure it, or should it just push on?

Should have a nut and olive, and the olive compress onto the pipe once tight so shouldn't come off

Is it leaking ?

Don't worry, I'm a di*k. Didn't realise I had to tighten the nut further once on the pipe. All sorted and seems to be running fine. Thanks to all for your help. Even managed to get the washing machine back in, albeit will have to move again when they come to install the water meter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drip from Filling Loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock