Discuss Dow Corning silicone, new formula? Has anyone else noticed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adrian V

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed that Dow Corning silicone seems to be not as good as it was. I have had one lot of clear a couple of weeks back that failed to really cure properly. Then, yesterday I used some white round a bath and shower tray and it seems to have less substance than it used to. Almost like it has been diluted. I will be back there after Christmas and will see if that one has cured properly.

Hi Adrian.

out of interest, did you buy it from a reputable wholesaler or retailer?

I would be surprised if anyone would counterfeit such a relatively low value product, but I guess its possible.

Hi Ray. Yep, I got it from screwfix. The normal sanitary silicone. Same as I have always use, and always thought a good product. Im sure its genuine stuff. But I think it could be a new, and IMO not so good recipe.

Was it from a trade merchant or a DIY store.
most manufacturers make a cheaper product for the big sheds.

Good point. I usually buy it from my local plumbers merchant.
I have noticed what you say with dulux paint purchased from big stores. Cheaper price, but lower quality. I bet that's it.

Adrian, there are lots of different types of silicones (high and low modulus, neutral, acetoxy etc) that do different jobs. If it s one you use frequently it does seem funny you have noticed a 'change' Makes me wonder if they have put the wrong silicone batch in the wrong tubes. Give their tech a ring, I am sure they will help.

John

Cold weather maybe not helpful?
I found Dow Corning went mouldy in damp areas like showers & ruined the look of a nice job in a year or so, so I stopped using it.
Any of the "10 year garanteed to stay white" silicones are better IMO but perhaps not as good a grip.
I like "Forever White"

I know what you mean, its like watered down, and alot harder to mould with fugi kits. I avoid now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dow Corning silicone, new formula? Has anyone else noticed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally...
Replies
Views
Hi We had a new kitchen mixer tap fitted back in October, it was highly rated on tool station and not a bad price. I noticed yesterday that the...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock