Discuss does anyone still use copper in a 1st fix downstairs gorund floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_mc

Im doing a 1st fix today and was doing in copper with soldered joints the norm would usually use pipe and pipe and manifolds but this was better copper as it was a reovation track floors etc so didnt what to make the tracks massive using pipe in pipe as the house robbed when no one lived in it and the copper was stole.

everyone from the sparks the joiners where over asking copper??$$?? what I havent seen an install in copper in ages. maybe because it was in belfast everyone must use hep, one even said usually any plumber i know uses hep joints under the concrete floor I was like WHAT>>>

so my question is; many copper 1st fixs these days with you guys.

Done one recently on a 5 bed mansion new build, custard insisted on copper, got what he wanted. Few of the lads were not happy using a 28mm bender but same principles just slighty more elbow grease

always go with copper, don't trust plastic for some reason ? when I have used it, never had a problem with it but I'm always expecting a fitting to blow off ? Copper for me, anyone can put plastic in

very true, plastic isnt a skill but its takes a bit off skill to put in neat lol.

I usually use pipe in pipe downstairs but by the time you but manifolds and feet for radiators tails etc its about the same cost as copper.
a copper 1st fix is slower but at least its tried and tested over the years.

do use hep upstairs thru joists as its quick and easy and a good earner.

Personal ... my past experience regarding air ingress and fittings failing under heat keep me away from plastic!! There's something unnerving about a slipy, moving fitting!!

Most new builds up this way have suspended floors so it is easier and just as quick and much neater to do in copper.

Most new builds up this way have suspended floors so it is easier and just as quick and much neater to do in copper.
and when the next generation rip it all out they wont be disappointed to find they have nothing to weigh in ,see what we are like on the ukpf always thinking of our kids LOL

Not afraid to use plastic but much prefer copper - seems more professional to me.

Also, I paid thousands to learn how to solder and I'm not going to waste that knowledge on some form of toddler's group tubing ...

Custard had a leak with some small bore plastic, checked it out all ok, delved into a bit of history. He always turns of mains water before he goes on holiday. First time I've come across this, a leak occured when the fitting is not under pressure. It wasn't jg twist & lock system or hep, couldnt identify manufacturer and the pipe was fully inserted, mabe no pipe stiffner, anybody else come across this?

Custard had a leak with some small bore plastic, checked it out all ok, delved into a bit of history. He always turns of mains water before he goes on holiday. First time I've come across this, a leak occured when the fitting is not under pressure. It wasn't jg twist & lock system or hep, couldnt identify manufacturer and the pipe was fully inserted, mabe no pipe stiffner, anybody else come across this?

It probably leaked when he turned it back on. Don't trust plastics 100%. Any make.

I like both,

I do understand why people prefer using copper but plastic does have its uses. I don't agree that anyone can use plastic; yes of course they can but anyone can use copper as well. A cheap diy torch and a couple of bending springs!

The trouble is the best use of plastic is that it can be manipulated twisted and bent in any number of ways on one bit of pipe, the trick is not to use too many joints, these are just too expensive. There was a post a while ago where there were numerous joints all over the place looked horrific, this is where the skill comes in. If you do need a few joints then quickly swap from plastic to copper.

Downside for me is I go home at the end of the job and think did that have an insert? what about that? did the pipe pop all the way in! (or am I thinking of something else there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to does anyone still use copper in a 1st fix downstairs gorund floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock