Discuss Dodgy installation maybe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atouchofgas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Right guys, bit of advice please. Had phone call early, cust has some work done to her property and has had a new ch system installed. Guy who installed it has " disappeared " and she's is having a dispute with builder. I have been asked to go and inspect and if possible commission. I have said unable to commission until I can see the extent of what's needing done and needing redone. Question is what should I be looking for apart from the obvious eg pipe size etc or should I run for the hills. Sorry for the long winded story

Take no prisoners and plenty of notes. Think blank canvas and how you'd have done the job then mentally compare.

And don't be afraid to walk away the moment payment is questioned, she's asked you in, not the builder. Her arguments with him, let her recoup the money from him.

Cheers croppie, not afraid to walk end of day it would be my name on it.

Just bear in mind that anything not right your more than likely liable for. Set your stall out, and charge her from the off. Including a first inspection. No favours owed! You didn't do the job.

first issue payment
second issue in my mind on scenarios like this is the boiler, you can do TT,gas rate ,visual inspections of flue ,appliance piping, pressures etc etc but you never know how well its fixed to the wall .
you stick your name on it and some doughnut has used inch screws or wall is soft and could end up on floor in couple months .

Im allways a bit sceptical about jobs like this, cant help thinking either its a cowboy builder or the dispute is over money, if its the former then I suppose its just a case of ensuring all is well and billing the customer. If the dispute is money based Id walk away just in case you get stung too

As above. Sometimes it's a ploy to get a boiler fitted without getting "over priced" gas safe engineers to do it.

I agree with you Leo, going into job with eyes wide open, a large note pad and will take photos, just so I can cover my bum

I like the point about how it's hung and what fixings were used.

Unless you're going to have to rehang the boiler make sure you record that you aren't responsible for the mounting of the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dodgy installation maybe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock