Discuss do you think the public know what ciphe is? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dom jolly

I know this has probably been covered loads of times before but do you think the general public are aware of CIPHE and know what it is?

Chartered Institute of Heating & Plumbing Engineers, not sure alot of customers would have heard of them though or really cared if you was a member

it sounds familuar but dont know anything about them, im guessing if many trades men dont really know who or what they are about then what chance do customers have?

it sounds familuar but dont know anything about them, im guessing if many trades men dont really know who or what they are about then what chance do customers have?

I thought you were winding me up but now realise your not!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Home - CIPHE

Im a member and got my EngTech registration through them. I find it quite handy sometimes although they could do with getting their name out a bit more.

To be honest, and I know this is on a public forum, half the time joe public isn't even aware of what we do. So I find highly unlikely that a good proportion would have any idea about ciphe, other than maybe that you might use it to clean the bathroom!

Decent enough question and I hope you get an answer you are looking for....but if I'm brutally honest I couldn't give a monkey's if the public know or not! I was invited to join for just over £60 after I passed my oftec, don't see the point in spending £60 odd quid for a sticker for the van.

Well, it doesn't really matter if they've heard of it. Seeing a row of stickers on a van which obviously denote official bodies to which you are a member IS understood as what it is and would, normally I imagine, add an air of trustworthiness to you. Worth £60? Meh, who knows. It's kind of one of those unquantifiable things, like having a sign-written van in the first place. Who knows how much more of a prescence it gives you or how much more someone is likely to accept a quote after peeking at your van before you walk in the front door. It certainly won't hurt.

It depends on what you do and who you do it for. I have never had a sign written van or have never advertised but I have been doing what I do for a long time.
To the op I doubt the public know about it

there are loads of plumbers/gas engineers institutes, associations, federations etc and they all make out if you're reputable you should join but all the public know of are gas safe and corgi.

I'm not saying they arn't worth it but it certainly wouldn't be worth it to join them all.
I'm gas saferegistered and plan to join corgi competent persons schemes for my notifiable plumbing and electrical work so I can self-certify all of my work.
Seeing as corgi is well known it will also add more credibility to customers than others schemes.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of so called trade associations who claim to be something they arent. This isn't a trade association, like APHC or SNIPEF. I'm not a member of CIPHE because I wanted a sticker for my van. I went for it because I intend to be a Chartered Engineer in the future so i can go into consultancy when the knees give way and I cant squeeze under floors.

so other then being able to use a emblem or whatever, what are the benifits of being a member?

i could just save money and make my own badge, the AW federation of heating engineers.... ill only charge half the price ;)

The trouble with being a member of all these organisations is that the public like to see the fancy stickers / letters on your van / stationary until you put up your prices to pay for them all.

The benefit of being a member of CIPHE is that you can gain a professional engineer status through professional development. There are currently three grades, Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Chartered Engineer(CEng). It may not mean anything for someone who just want to remain on the tools but for others there is a path to develop your career. Lets face who want to be on the tools past 60? Up a ladder in the rain? No thanks..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to do you think the public know what ciphe is? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back