Discuss DIY Forum for DIY Plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Should I create a DIY forum to direct people away from this forum who are doing DIY jobs?

I could then make our three main forums (tilers, plumbers and electricians) all for professionals and trainees only. I think that's how most networks are doing it. So perhaps we do the same?

Your thoughts?

We have had considerable success helping DIYers and preventing them from attempting illegal and complicated projects. Anybody can paint and decorate but plumbing looks easy but is not. They tend to ask at the weekend and stimulate interesting exchanges in my opinion. We did have the Plumbers Arms. Cheers Dan
centralheatking

I think the vast majority of people on this forum who seek our advice are DIY folk (my impression). It might be boring without them and I can't see tradesmen/women visiting DIY sites. I personally think that spreading things out further will only dilute a good thing?
Just a thought! Might be wrong.

The 'commercial' forum, which seems quite close to what you are proposing, gets very few posts.

Personally, I don't take much notice of the sub-forum structure. I just use the "What's New" tab.

Incidentally, IIRC, links in "What's New" in the old UKPF took you straight to the first unread post in the thread. In the new PF.net it only seems to have links to the first or last post, which is not quite as convenient.

I think if you removed the diyers it would be a ghost town in here and would be the end of the forum. Who will visit a forum with no new content.

We have the arms and gas safe only for anything we dont want the customers to see or read. Maybe try and build the arms back up to the way it used to be years ago when there was posts going and going about anything and everything.

It also raises subjects that may not be raised and gets people talking and you learn things you thought you knew but been doing it wrong.

Should I create a DIY forum to direct people away from this forum who are doing DIY jobs?

I could then make our three main forums (tilers, plumbers and electricians) all for professionals and trainees only. I think that's how most networks are doing it. So perhaps we do the same?

Your thoughts?
Ultimately Dan it will be your advertisers that will decide canvas them, but maximum exposure to an appropriate market calls the shots. Diyers are often laden with highly disposable cash and will buy and with our input will flash the cash or press the buy button.
centralheatking.....there are 60m people in uk with 20m combis eg hanging on their walls,plus taps bathrooms wc etc. how many plumbers & Ch outfits ?and then only you know how many regulars on here. chking I suppose its a lot like a football club, the supporters think they control the club, in fact its the owners, shareholders and advertisers that call the shots. Dont get me wrong I am happy whatever.

Last edited:
Amateurs are really the life blood of this place as they come here hoping to get expert advice. Sure, come December the forum will be inundated with cases of frozen condensate pipework but more often than not it's the DIY'er getting into a pickle that make for the most interesting cases to read, try to resolve as well as learn from. Seperating them from the pros as mentioned by other members would I feel be detrimental to the health of the forum.

Reply to DIY Forum for DIY Plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock