Discuss Dirty Tricks of the Tradesman. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
New series on BBC1 started this morning. Set the sky+ to tape it, an interesting watch!

I won't be watching it, I can't stand programmes that do nothing to help trades.

Give me one, thats all I ask just one programme that shows how dodgy customers can be and how generous tradesmen can be,

A customer of mine had an a problem with a dishwasher, I went over about a 10 mile round trip and all that was wrong was that it needed re-setting. I was entitled to charge her my minimum charge. Did I? No. I'm sure we all have done things like this. Do you see this on the TV.

On the flip side, for whatever reason its taken you a bit longer to solve a problem than it should have. You don't charge anymore. See this on the TV? No.

Its cheap programming, scares people into thinking all sorts and makes our lives harder.

I'm now going to put my soap box away.

It did open with the line that it's only a small minority.

It seems to be more about educating the public than pointing the finger, but only seen the first ten minutes.

First job is a leaking radiator (towel rail) said it should be fixed for about £100. (Note to self must increase my prices.)
It's a set up, the father is housesitting for the son I think, the son has organised it because he thinks his father is too trusting.

£100???

Obviously it depends on where the leak is but it could be:

a) a quick tighten of a nut £25-£50
b) a quick tighten of the bleed valve £25-£50
c) leak on the connection part that goes into the radiator - turn off valves, drain, re-fit connection and refill - around £50
d) leak on trv or lockshield which will probably require a drain down, refill, inhibitor, etc and involve at least 1/2 day's work plus around £30 of materials - anything from £150

None of the above prices (based on where I live) match £100

Of course, if you see the BBC's cameras before you start and feel they're wasting your time in testing you then you could give a quote for £12,000 and if they agree to the work, they can't get out of it and can't really complain ...

I fully agree with you, Secret Squirrel. And some wonder why the construction industry is suffering. I suppose it makes news and as long as it doesn't affect the media and the programme makers, why should they worry. The media's only in it for themselves and is only interested in short termism and couldn't care less about anyone.

Wish your soap box was larger and had microphones attached directly to the trades unions headquarters and the BBC ...

thats all i got to see too...

all this sort of program promotes mr roger bisby! is for the customer to go to british gas and the likes to suffer a bigger fleecing for their repairs!!!
customer of mine couldnt get hold of me the other week because he was dialling the wrong number.
his ball cock needed attention so called severn trent to do it.........£180!!!!!!!

Was thinking that when I watched it on BBC i player last night, never noticed an O ring on a rad valve before. Mind you, Ive only 24 years experience as opposed to the 40 years experience in the building trade that bloke's supposed to have! Must have started work at 10 years old!

Presume this is the O ring at the blank or bleed valve.

There's no way I'd charge £100 for changing that, unless I spotted hidden cameras. Would then be tempted to give a quotation for £1,000 and if signed I'd be a happy bunny and laughing all the way to the bank. But not from the bank, as the greedy blighters would probably nick all my earnings in various bank charges.

you can get towel rail valve that just have a 'o' ring seal,they are the same as tap heads,usually have cylinder shape chrome heads,have had to replace quite a few as leak for £ 99.99 :ninja:,standard tap revivers fit,also there were rad valves with 'o' rinds fitted into the union connection,this you would not probably identify from visual inspection though

imho

The expert was the geezer from pro plumbing and heating magazine you get free in the merchents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dirty Tricks of the Tradesman. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock