Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Dirty expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Willknapo

Hello folks
My expansion tank in the loft has got a lot of sludge type substance in it why is this?
And also should the water in the tank be hot?

if its alot no and does it have a lid

no the water shouldn't be hot

It ideally should be fairly clean inside the expansion tank, but some slight scum floating or lying sediment is often in them.
Your tank should definitely not be warm and this could be a result of water pumping up the vent pipe - which is a disaster to entire heating systems as introduces oxygen and will destroy rads, fittings and boiler in a year or so. The water being warm can also be due to incorrect feed pipework, but either way you need to get a heating engineer to find out what is causing it.
Dirt in the tank water can be a result of corrosion

Just had another look and the water is definitely warm but there is no water entering the tank from the vent pipe?

Just had another look and the water is warm but nothing coming out of the vent pipe

back filling via the feed pipe it sounds like

Ive never found a clean F&E tank but there are limits to how much muck it should contain.
If your F&E tank is getting warm its probably due to the way your system was installed. A lot of installations are done where the combine the feed & overflow pipework or install the feed from the tank after the pump. Both these methods can allow your tank to get warm. If you are concerned get a decent installer out to check your system.

The system is from the 70s so you may be right. I think I will try and run some cleaner through the system and clean out the F&E tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dirty expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock