Discuss DHW SETTINGS on Gas Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Why are there options for setting time periods for DHW?

If set for 24hours, ie 24/7 won’t the boiler simply turn on .. on demand?…no need for time periods!

What am I not seeing?

If you have the DHW on 24/7 the boiler will try to keep the tank at 60°C all the time which means the return temperature from the heat exchanger in the tank will be at 60°C, which is inefficient, and there will be unnecessary wear and tear on the zone valve and boiler. Also, having the boiler cycling on and off can be annoying to occupants, particularly at night, due to noise.

If you have the DHW on 24/7 the boiler will try to keep the tank at 60°C all the time which means the return temperature from the heat exchanger in the tank will be at 60°C, which is inefficient, and there will be unnecessary wear and tear on the zone valve and boiler. Also, having the boiler cycling on and off can be annoying to occupants, particularly at night, due to noise.
If DHW is programmed for set periods of on and off and a demand for dhw is made during an off period presumably there will be a delay in obtaining hot water, whereas if this happened during on period, hot water demand would be effectively instant!

If DHW is programmed for set periods of on and off and a demand for dhw is made during an off period presumably there will be a delay in obtaining hot water, whereas if this happened during on period, hot water demand would be effectively instant!
Sorry, my reply was written with a system boiler and external DHW store in mind. If you have a combi and are talking about scheduling the 'preheat' function then things are a bit less extreme but you are still trading off energy use against convenience and potentially wasted water.

Reply to DHW SETTINGS on Gas Boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

G
Why is there a choice in choosing time periods for DHW on gas boilers?….Why not having DHW ‘on’ 24hours/day. Isn’t the boiler switched on only on...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
What is the boiler flow temperature required to flag this 2965 fault code?. This, I believe, is a blocking code that trips the burner but...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few...
Replies
Views
When I set it to be on via phone, light A comes on (telling it to be on), but light B won’t come on, so the boiler doesn’t start. I either need to...
Replies
Views
I have a very strange issue with my BAXI 105e DHW. if i turn on the hot tap the pump starts and demand for DHW is shown, after a some seconds it...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock