Search the forum,
  • Thread starter newcastle phill
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 180

Discuss Decisions decisions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcastle phill

Well after a long and protracted process ive been offered a job with SSE on the metering side.

I was offered a start date a short while ago as per another thread but for private reasons couldnt make it anyway - but after further discussion they have agreed to offer a later intake in late April.

£29600 basic with 7k retention bonus (less tax) payable in dec 2020. Other bonuses available subject to ticking boxes and hoop jumping.

So if you average that out it works out as in effect £31600

The work seems easy and no heavy lifting with opportunities to head over to the heating side (not available to basic meter installers) as i have full gas ticket.

Im having a good think about it. I love the freedom of doing my own thing but the temptation of not having to run a van and mess about with timewasters is tempting....

Hmmmm

Sounds good.

Have you weighed up all the pro's n con's?

Money sounds good !

will you get bored changing meters and feeling big bro is watching you ?

£29600 basic with 7k retention bonus (less tax) payable in dec 2020. Other bonuses available subject to ticking boxes and hoop jumping.

What`s the retention bonus all about and why payable in Dec 2020?

Todays budget announcement for the self employed might sway you Phil.

Whats that 60p a week lol

The retention bonus it to retain you and stop you moving on to others. Perhaps they be better calling it an incentive bonus.
But that aside they do have penalties for leaving soon on a sliding scale.

I probably would get bored - i have that type of character - i do tire easily of the same thing but the saving grace is small doses in different places (houses).

Big brother.....yes it seems that way and when i went to the depot for a meet and greet and walk around - they deffo obsess over health and safety. Reverse parking only. Signs on stairs saying to hold rail at all times. Vans tracked etc..restricted to 60 etc...

Still thinking it over - and i have accepted in principle (but could still walk away) but they have been very fair indeed and encouraging trying to work around me not being eble to make an earlier start date..

On the positive side

No mithering customers ( not yours anyway)
No worrying if you'll get paid
Meet lot's of folk in short doses
probably be the Opportunity to earn more by doing more ( watch that one though, if you do, they will expect you to keep the pace up )
When you knock off, that's you done and the money is not bad at all.

On the positive side

No mithering customers ( not yours anyway)
No worrying if you'll get paid
Meet lot's of folk in short doses
probably be the Opportunity to earn more by doing more ( watch that one though, if you do, they will expect you to keep the pace up )
When you knock off, that's you done and the money is not bad at all.

Well if it is only 60p a week to you then yeah lol.

I would but depends what your on now and weekend work / off ??

Can understand anybody running a one man band operation jumping at the thought of a steady wage and no agro in terms of late night phone calls, wasted hours going out pricing jobs or chasing money.

Yeh we all know what it can be like.
Some knob the other night phoned at 7pm wanting me to come out as he couldny get his usual plumber.

He nearly fell thro the floor when i said its £60 which includes upto 1hr labour.

Come over to Homeserve if you want mate, massive recruiting drive at the min, starts at 23k plus max 50% bonus plus OT. Not bad to work for either I've been with em the last three years and I used to be a sod for jacking jobs at the slightest provocation.

In my opinion you're either cut for being self-employed or for being employed. Very rare to find someone who has been self-employed who works out to be a good, loyal employee and I think that the needs of someone that stays in a job long-term mean that they won't do too well self-employed.

No offence intended there - I'm self employed and proud to be but if I went back to a job I would hate it.

Just my opinion. Which one are you??

Well after a long and protracted process ive been offered a job with SSE on the metering side.

I was offered a start date a short while ago as per another thread but for private reasons couldnt make it anyway - but after further discussion they have agreed to offer a later intake in late April.

So if you average that out it works out as in effect £31600

The work seems easy and no heavy lifting with opportunities to head over to the heating side (not available to basic meter installers) as i have full gas ticket.

Im having a good think about it. I love the freedom of doing my own thing but the temptation of not having to run a van and mess about with timewasters is tempting....

Hmmmm

Stay put mate, goal post are moved frequently. No such thing as a job for life.

Is that working normal 8-5 per day Phill, if so sounds not a bad deal but would soon become boring i would expect.
Having said that though it all depends on your age, i am 55 this year and as we all know us plumbers start with the aches and pains every day......i think in a few more years it would be okay prior to retiring.
Bob (tritech)

Id say 8 til 5 ish.
I have the hours somewhere.
I think the hours are 42.5 a week.
Between 8 and 8. But im not sure if they enforce late starts and late finishes...

In my opinion you're either cut for being self-employed or for being employed.

I have a slightly different division in my head.

There are two sorts of people.

The first group is characterised by the statement "I can't do that, because I haven't been trained for it."

The second group is characterised by the statement "Hmm. I haven't ever done that before. I wonder how I could learn to do it? How hard can it be?"

Is it financially viable for you
Your happiness
Current time spent working vs new job

Also might be a chance to take a break, get in a better place financially for mortgage ect, hate it and be sick of it then come back to self employment revitalised.

Sounds like you're a little jaded!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Decisions decisions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock