Search the forum,

Discuss D.I.Y Solar Collectors - very danerous in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
Incoming energy (sunlight) can be up to 7kw per m2 - did I get that fact correct ?

Have you got anything to do with that ecosol, who posted that bizarre post last night? You’ve been here a couple of weeks, asking about a diy solar set up and then this ecosol pipes up last night. Seems quite fishy

Mmmmmm

Have you got anything to do with that ecosol, who posted that bizarre post last night? You’ve been here a couple of weeks, asking about a diy solar set up and then this ecosol pipes up last night. Seems quite fishy

Mmmmmm
Dont know who ecosol are - my question about diy solar is genuine because I have some bits left over from my Solar Roof project a few years ago and did not want to spend too much on the solar set up for my wifes new office (shed)south facing down the end of the garden - I get peace and quiet. Api 2006 is a bona fide design company and I am not a schister but your right to ask and indeed ask away Rob Foster

Incoming energy (sunlight) can be up to 7kw per m2 - did I get that fact correct ?
No. I think it's more like 1kW in the UK climate. EDIT: in full sun conditions.

From the course I did at CAT in 2013, if unvented, we need 3 levels of protection: 1. Method of cutting off heat and motorised valve, 2. Expansion vessel, 3i. Pressure dump valve, 3ii. Overheat dump valve on cylinder. There may be other levels of protection required, as the course was not intended to teach you how to DIY, it was just a guide to give an idea if professional installers knew what they were doing, or not.

Last edited:
No. I think it's more like 1kW in the UK climate. EDIT: in full sun conditions.

From the course I did at CAT in 2013, if unvented, we need 3 levels of protection: 1. Method of cutting off heat and motorised valve, 2. Expansion vessel, 3i. Pressure dump valve, 3ii. Overheat dump valve on cylinder. There may be other levels of protection required, as the course was not intended to teach you how to DIY, it was just a guide to give an idea if professional installers knew what they were doing, or not.
I used to lecture at CAT back in 1999 ish - never for money then but always got a veggie lunch never any diesel for my transit

What subject did you lecture on? When I volunteered there, we could claim some limited transport expenses. This was soon after the bankruptcy of CAT plc and the 'great purge'. PM me if you feel this is off-topic: always pleased to meet ex-CAT people.

Lectured about 2000 in Rain & water recycling - did articles in various magazines - Leicester Uni. Went to Machynlyth many times
hI i,m very interested in solar power id like to know if i buy books educating me on this subject and not getting a recognized certified something or other,,or better pay good earned money for a certificate,I lived in Africa for over 30 years and i am very interested of course for all things solar.

hI i,m very interested in solar power id like to know if i buy books educating me on this subject and not getting a recognized certified something or other,,or better pay good earned money for a certificate,I lived in Africa for over 30 years and i am very interested of course for all things solar.
i installed many solar systems on contract to Solar Power Botswana supplying hot water to schools and households,it was early day then in solar in Bots,,im talking 90,s

i installed many solar systems on contract to Solar Power Botswana supplying hot water to schools and households,it was early day then in solar in Bots,,im talking 90,s
On the subject of water recycling in Bots again i fitted many sub terrain tanks to collect grey water and use for garden and washing of cars ect i also had many ideas of collecting water from large shopping malls ,,water from air cons ,,massive waste.not being a technical science enlightened man i think there is so many ways simply to save water in all places ,,just needs thought,

On the subject of water recycling in Bots again i fitted many sub terrain tanks to collect grey water and use for garden and washing of cars ect i also had many ideas of collecting water from large shopping malls ,,water from air cons ,,massive waste.not being a technical science enlightened man i think there is so many ways simply to save water in all places ,,just needs thought,
I have done loads of domestic systems and some large commercial ones in early 2000s
I did a frozen pizza warehouse, a laundry/nursing home and my favourite was Meanwhile gardens at Ladbroke Grove using a skate board park as a collection ‘roof’ for rainwater that goes thro the toilets tec, many others too numerous to mention

You've remembered the number but not the units. It's up to 7 kW hr / m^2 day, i.e. 300 W / m^2. That's an annual average. On a clear day with the sun directly overhead (noon mid summer) it'll be about 1000 W / m^2.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the topic:
Sunlight - Wikipedia

Reply to D.I.Y Solar Collectors - very danerous in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Did anyone watch Britain's Got Talent last night? There was a Plumber on from Stockport called Darren who bottled it last year but did his audition last night.. He was a stand up comedian and he got off to a rocky start but by the end everyone was loving him! Does anyone know him? Is he a...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock