Search the forum,

Discuss Customer hasn't got a building compliance cert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Customer phoned me today. Someone fitted their boiler and has gone out of business and not registered their boiler.

they asked me if I could do it (fitted 2013). I quoted £250 plus vat and they accepted. I just wanted to know how you would do this. Would you have to re commission the boiler and then register with gas safe again or.....is there am expiry date since it was fitted?

I remner someone saying you have to go to the council offices or something?

If you want to commission and notify they you decide at what level you "risk" your GSR, ie quick look/see and charge for a safety check, anything goes wrong you are liable, or you investigate as you see fit to what level and charge accordingly and don't risk your GSR as you are checking and confirming it's done to your high standards, so you decide whether you risk a TT, or you do a full visual of all pipe joints, you split the flue to confirm it's fitted properly and you drop the boiler off the bracket to check the fixings are right, once you take responsibility you then notify it,

I'd run it past gas safe....no point in risking your reputation for £250. Customer might be spinning you a yarn...

Boiler off wall gas carc checked entirely re hang boiler check and re assemble flue replace anything that dosnt look pristine then commission as usual then and only then would I personally certify it but it would cost more than I would usually charge for the job to start with

If you KNOW it was done illegally, you can't do it, if the customer tells you it was a gas engineer but it wasn't registered for whatever reason then you choose whether to do it or not,
It's covered in TB 014

Last edited by a moderator:
Customer has canceled now. Probably got someone to do it cheaper. We all do a gas safety check. No one removes the flue, removes the boiler and checks the bracket etc. no one inspects the log book on every safety check you do. The last person there is responsible for the work and there is no way of knowing if a gas safe engineer did the work or not. It's no more risky then doing a safety check surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customer hasn't got a building compliance cert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, So I did a job for a customer recently which involved swapping out an incredibly dangerous and poorly installed unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
The self-certification certificate states that "....the work was carried out in accordance with Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, as...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have 28 year old Valiant Combi Boiler in our Bungalow airing cupboard, where the vertical fan flue goes up into roof. As you can see in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock