Discuss crazy plumbing question???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buffy27

is it possible foe a 1" copper pipe run or any other pipe run for that matter to hold a 2 bar air test and then a few days later when heating operating a leak shows up in a concrete floor.is this possible ,have u ever seen something similar to happen ???it was found on further investigation that the 1" copper pipe was kinked in the floor !!
why would it happen that when the stove was put going and hot water circulatingf that this would show up ... all plumbers please reply regardless of experience!!!

thye air test was apparently left on for 20 mins!!!
thanks in advance for your opinion.... dara

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like possibly when heat was introduced into the pipe it expanded, causing it to leak. was it a long run of pipe and did you put an expansion loop in

I wouldn't have thought that was possible? surely a leak would have shown after a 20 minute test. If this is possible why test at all!

Definetley going to follow this one, I'm intrigued by the replies this is going to generate.

wasnt my work ..a pal doing a job and the owner was giving him crap over it .. now he swore to me that he tested it and it held 2 bar air .it was a return pipe to a stove and yes was on a a straight run of around 10 meters .why would that matter. cheers buddy!!

When i worked on sites i tested all my pipework, plumbing and heating to 4 BAR and when the hot water came on we had a few leaks. its the expansion witht the heat. if there is a bit not completely soldered the heat can break what pressure testing cant.

what sort of heat was introduced into the pipe if its from a boiler it could range from 50 to 80 degrees and at those temps there is a hell of a lot of expansion on copper pipe, I cant remember how much but i am sure that some one a lot clevere than me could tell yer

say if it was a 10 meter run of 1" copper then how much expansion would take place .. apparently the pip[e was cruched a bit when the opened the floor !!!

apparantly, the rate of linear expansion per millimetre of copper pipe is 0.0000177 millimetres per degree C temperature rise.
that doesnt sound a lot but when you start adding it up its quite a bit i will grab me calculator and try and work it out with an averidge temp of 60 degrees C on 10 metres of 28mm pipe

went to a heating pipe leak years ago, the installation was 7 years old. the leak was coming from an unsoldered pipe. the flux had held it together for 7 years!

Where can I buy some of that flux?!!!

Good grief!! SEVEN YEARS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to crazy plumbing question???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock