Discuss Corrosion on top of boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a Vaillant boiler 9 years old and the top is showing some corrosion from an outside pipe leaking on top I think. Is this an expensive thing or is it easily fixed? Or do you think I will need new boiler? Thank you so much for reading!
1000003737.jpg

Draw off cock is leaking, or leaking at the joint to the pipework. That is what needs fixing!

As for the boiler, if it's surface rust (probably), and not penetrating corrosion, then I doubt it's of concern, though obviously you want to prevent it getting worse. It depends whether that is essentially a decorative/electrical enclosure in which case even if it's rusted through, it doesn't matter that much, or if it's an integral part of how the boiler manages combustion/fresh air circulation in which case the casing condition is important. Get it serviced and get advice from the person doing the service, but if you sort the leak, then that will probably be the end of the matter.

I suppose it could be repainted, but there is an argument that it's better to see this kind of fault openly so the condition of the metal can be clearly seen, so may not be a good idea if that metal is not purely a decorative/electrical enclosure.

Reply to Corrosion on top of boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock