Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Corroded taps and small particles from cold water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jakeurban

In the bathroom the basin taps have Corroded whereby the coating seems to be blistering and coming off. The taps are only 8 years old and no one else in the block has same problem. In addition to this there are small particles from cold water taps in the bath, perhaps 1-2 every 3-4 minutes and are very small.

taps 3.jpg

It looks like water has got under the plating jakeurban .... :welcome:, by-the-way. Could have been due to faulty manufacture. there are some that get through the whatever factory tests are done.... regards the particles it could be a good few things ... Is this your own home?

It looks like water has got under the plating jakeurban .... :welcome:, by-the-way. Could have been due to faulty manufacture. there are some that get through the whatever factory tests are done.... regards the particles it could be a good few things ... Is this your own home?

Thanks for your message and welcome. They are 8 years old and ive seen taps 10, 20, 30 years old and I don't know who manufactured them, should there be a guarantee?

yes it my place, and its a new build property, what potentially could it be?

There won't be a guarantee that you can claim on for the taps, just get them replaced. Unless you have a guarantee on parts used from when you bought the house. But if you did, you probably wouldn't be asking the question.
The bits in your water could be any number of things. Most likely there has been roadworks or similar in your area and bits will have come out of everyones taps who was affected by it.
Could be back syphonage, do you have an outside tap without check valve? Or does your shower head reach the water level in your bath?
Could be scale in your pipework - most likely if you're in a hard water area.
If the bits are only from this tap then it's likely to be corrosion coming from under the bubbled plating.
What colour are the bits?

There won't be a guarantee that you can claim on for the taps, just get them replaced. Unless you have a guarantee on parts used from when you bought the house. But if you did, you probably wouldn't be asking the question.
The bits in your water could be any number of things. Most likely there has been roadworks or similar in your area and bits will have come out of everyones taps who was affected by it.
Could be back syphonage, do you have an outside tap without check valve? Or does your shower head reach the water level in your bath?
Could be scale in your pipework - most likely if you're in a hard water area.
If the bits are only from this tap then it's likely to be corrosion coming from under the bubbled plating.
What colour are the bits?

Okay, in terms of replacing the taps this i will have to do, are there standard ones, i mean is the diameter the same for all taps? + when I replace do i need to put any sealant anywhere?

The bits are dark, possibly black and very small, i bit one and it was lick stone textured, they are very small though and been happening for ages now.

No sealant needed just use the supplied rubber washers between the tap head and the ceramic top of your sink, once you have turned water off and removed taps, take them to your local plumbers merchant when buying the new taps to make sure the new ones are the same size fittings. They will almost always be a standard size but better to be safe than sorry if you're not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corroded taps and small particles from cold water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock