Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss core drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

woodytheplumber

had a bit of a clear out of the garage I had a fair few core drills in there as I kept buying new (second hand ones) that I thought worked better than my last one I have now only got my Milwaukee with the soft hammer and I find this is the best core drill I have used I have the odd Milwaukee 12v drill and a torch thingy and they are as good as anything else but this core dill is in a league of its own well worth the £450 so if anyone is in need of one I can highly recommend it!

I just cheated on milwaukiee and ordered a te60

Not for cores but hanging rads.

comp wont let me open another window or maybe its me whats a Te60

I LOVE my milwaukee kit, and have used the milwaukee core drill quite abit.
btw you can get them for £375 ! You've been cheated!!

i got myself a marcrist ddm1 and have found it to....actually be....better.....than....the milwaukee.....

i can only imagine how much better the ddm3 is !!!

I got mine direct from millwaukee or so I thought and better as in faster?? I love the soft hammer function

Here you go
4002395232628 493368705 4933368705 2 Speed Dry Diamond Core Drill 240v

Milwaukee don't sell direct?
they have a vendor called Maintenance

that sells them with a silly mark up.
thats a £75 quid difference.

i found the marcrist to be about the same speed as with the soft hammer on the milwaukee.
but slightly more comfortable

the marcrist has a hammer mode too but you have to use special percussion cores which are supposed to be faster

it might have been that vendor then it certainly looks like Milwaukee direct to the untrained eye and ah I to be honest just use cheep cores I usually buy them £100 cases use 3 or 4 of them and throw the spares that I havnt used in a box in the garage

I have to say I have been left hugely un impressed by the ddm1 everyone talked it up and I'd say it's not massively better then the 8406.

maybe I was expecting too much, maybe mine is faulty either way I'm just not thrilled when I get it out to play

What is the difference between the DDM1 and DDM2? I will soon be in the market for a drill to use with my Marcrist dry cores.

What is the difference between the DDM1 and DDM2? I will soon be in the market for a drill to use with my Marcrist dry cores.

The DDM2 is not available any more sadly. It did look like the ideal middle ground between the 1 and 3 - 1 being single speed and dry core only and the 3 being 3-speed with a water feed, but heavy and expensive.

Maybe look at the new percussion drill that you can use with the PC850 percussion cores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Masood, The trouble is I have already purchased the CCU850X set and then my drill broke. I don't think I will be doing any wet cores and the DDM2 did look ideal. What do you think of the DDM1? I normally go for Milwaukee tools but the Marcrist drill is cheaper and some seem to say it is better.

Hi Masood, The trouble is I have already purchased the CCU850X set and then my drill broke. I don't think I will be doing any wet cores and the DDM2 did look ideal. What do you think of the DDM1? I normally go for Milwaukee tools but the Marcrist drill is cheaper and some seem to say it is better.

on reflection now I've had two walls it wouldent drill and the core has stuck twice.
i also have the same core set now.

I've got to get in touch with marcrist and see if they will take the ddm1 back and knock the money off the 3.

it seems to be lovely or disappointing
spend the money and get the 3 or the Milwaukee.

Hi Billy King, would you go with the Milwaukee of the DDM3 for Dry core only? Do you have the CCU850X cores as well? On the walls that the DDM1 would not do would you able to do them with the Milwaukee?

I do have the 850 cores.
i ended up stitch drilling them.

when i was using the milwaukee during my apprenticeship i never had an issue.
also it was always retrofits so lots of different building materials.

I noticed the ddm3 is in alot of hireshops, that usually points to them being bulletproof.

if you can afford it id give the ddm3 a bash.

Killy Bing, The DDM3 is more than I was expecting to pay but it is not so much about not being able to afford the drill, but more a case that I don't think I can justify the large cost difference. I would not be using the wet core feature. I think it will come down to the DDM1 or the Milwaukee. It is not a tool I use all the time.

Billy King, If I cant find a used DDM2 soon I think I will go for the Milwaukee, can you remember which one you used as they seems to have two (DD 2 and DD3).

Used both. The dd2 mainly and my friends dd3 but he does dedicated core drilling.

both are good, again the dd3 is about a 1000 quid and overkill unless youe coring a few times a day

Sounds like I may be going for the Milwaukee DD2 then, I also looked at the Makita DBM080 but don't know anyone that has used it before.

If I could get a used Marcrist DDM2 then would this be better than the Milwaukee DD2? I have only ever used the Makita core drill so I have no comparisons.

Well, I have just purchased an almost new Marcrist DDM2, they seem to be the drill everyone is recommending, really don't know why they were discontinued.

I am looking forward to trying it out and seeing how good it really is.

Talking of core drilling, our company pays us £10 to core drill AND fit the flue:mad:

I have to say I have been left hugely un impressed by the ddm1 everyone talked it up and I'd say it's not massively better then the 8406.

maybe I was expecting too much, maybe mine is faulty either way I'm just not thrilled when I get it out to play

I just sold my makita core drill to get the ddm1 and I'm also completely gutted. The motor cuts out too quickly and if the core gets jammed, you can't get it spinning again. The flick switches are flimsy and are never gonna last. Also with no clutch and a flimsy handle, when it bites, the drill spins taking your trigger hand with it.

Not impressed one bit.

Just don't know what drill to buy now. Might stick to the trusty makita if I can't make my mind up soon.

Oh. Anyone wanna buy an almost new ddm1. Used once. ;-)

Just looking at the dd2 it looks exactly the same as the ddm1.

Had to core out yesterday and again the ddm1 kept snagging and struggles to start spinning just pull the trigger and nothing happens oh and it has tried to maim me twice now

Wasnt the 2 discontinued? I'll be looking at the 3 once my makita bites the bullet.

Milwaukee!
is it good? was looking at the ddm1 but not sure now have used the Makita many times but dont own one. Think it could use more grunt and a better trigger. Whats the red teams offering like?

My honest answer can't remember. Tried it on a concrete wall was contemplating buying one but my Bosch and Hilti kit do job pretty well at moment.

If it's like rest of kit it shall be superb.

The Milwaukee is a beast. My Makita finally gave up the ghost so I bought a Milwaukee to replace it. Only used it a couple of times on small cores but very impressed so far, apart from nearly ripping my thumb off when I let go of the Side handle.

It looks a spit of the ddm1 that's my concern, don't get me wrong the ddm1 is quick but the 8406 starts and runs better probably takes an extra 30's over a 4" core to be honest I wish I renewed with an 8406

It looks a spit of the ddm1 that's my concern, don't get me wrong the ddm1 is quick but the 8406 starts and runs better probably takes an extra 30's over a 4" core to be honest I wish I renewed with an 8406

The DDM1 and the Milwaukee DD2 may look the same but that is where the similarities end, the Milwaukee drill is 1500W compared to 1200W for the DDM1, it has far more grunt.

I have now used the Makita, Milwaukee DD2, Marcrist DDM1 and DDM2.

The Makita is good but a little under powered at 850W, the Milwaukee DD2 is fantastic and not too heavy, the Marcrist DDM1 is not much good unless you use the Percussion cores, then it works well. The DDM2 is a beast of a machine in terms of performance and weight, I would say it is on par with the Milwaukee for drilling but is very heavy as it is an all metal construction and almost indestructible.

I currently have a Marcrist DDM2 which I purchased almost new, I would have gone with the Milwaukee but no good used drills were available when I needed one and I don't do enough core drilling to justify buying a new one.

I use makita 8406c brilliant core drill. Its finding good core bits i find hard. Makita ones arent anythin special . Not tried marcist but loads of guys use them .

Some useful feedback thanks guys. Its an expensive item to buy and then find you are disappointed.

After searching again iv decided to just stick with what ya know. The makita was a good all rounder that kept goin so iv just ordered another.

Things you do to help a mate out. Wish I'd have kept quiet now. I'd have been alot better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to core drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock