Discuss Control the flow of gas from a pupane bottle to a coffee roaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

earlscroft

Hi

I am trying to control the flow of gas from a pupane bottle to a coffee roaster.

The roaster
I have restored a 1930's Uno Coffee roaster with a capacity of 7lb of coffee per roast. The roaster consists of a rotating drum. An axle in the centre of the drum has the gas fed into it. The beans sit between the inner axle and outer skin of the drum.The whole process takes about 12-15 minutes to complete a roast. (If you search for 'Uno Coffee Roaster' on Google the first listing relates to the machine in question - for some reason the forum disallowed the direct link)

The objective
The taste of the beans is determined by many factors, but a large part is played by the roasting process. To that end, I'd like to control the temperature of the roast more accurately. I already have a thermocouple positioned in the drum that feeds data to a wireless transmitter attached to the outside of the spinning drum. I would like to compare this temperature data against a pre-defined set of data and send a signal to the 'device' that increases or decreases the flow of gas.

At the moment my Google searches return details of a device called a mass flow controller. Is this what I need or is there something simpler? I'd be grateful if any member could provide details of a manufacturer or specific model that might do the job.

Once I have all the information I will be contacting a local qualified gas engineer to carry out any work.

Many thanks

Mark

Interesting!

Our PLI wouldn't allow us to come anywhere near this but happy hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Control the flow of gas from a pupane bottle to a coffee roaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock