Discuss Consistent Drip Through Tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pdubz

Hi all,

I have a new build home (now just over a year old) the hot water system is an RM Cylinders Homeflow. Two weeks ago I noticed a dripping noise coming from my airing cupboard, upon investigation I found it was a consistent drip through the Tundish (I only discovered this was called a Tundish after finding the maintenance manual - I am generally pretty ignorant about plumbing). This drip has continued non-stop for the past two weeks.

What I'd like to know is if this is a problem that needs fixing? It might sound like a stupid question, but to me (an ignorant laymen) the funnel-like design of the Tundish suggests it is how it is purely for the purpose of catching drips, so perhaps it's OK that there is a drip running through it on occassion?

I am including an photo of my system if this helps anyone offer some advice?

DSC_0153 (2).jpg

thanks

You need to get an plumber with a G3 qualification in to have a look at it. These sort of cylinders require an annual service anyway.

any dripping from the tundish needs attention on a pressured cylinder its more dangerous than gas .the dripp indicates there is an expansion or pressure issue. it could just be that the expansion vessel has lost its charge .get an unvented quialified G3 plumber into check it

:welcome: to the forum pdubz .... You need to get the issue sorted. One of the safety devices is letting you know it has a problem!!

Thanks all for your replies, most helpful. I'll get it looked at asap.

It would have been so easy to make that D1 comply. <sigh>

Lost count of how many times I've seen this, normally its because they can't be bothered soldering another length onto the 1st fix tails. But in this case it just looks like pure ignorance.

To the op - get the builder/plumber back and tell them that discharge pipe D1 is too long! Easy to sort out for someone with G3 qualifications.

your plumber may have to replace the relief valve as well, once he has rectified the defect, due to not reseating after continued operating

lol, the Welsh word for funnel is Tundish, maybe this device was invented by "Dai the Plumb"

If it’s just a slight drip you might find a bit of grit has got stuck in one of the release valves? They’re spring loaded, so if you give them a turn you might find it’ll flush through and fix the problem? I think that’s as far as you should really go DIY wise.

If your house is a year old then call up the after sales team, they’re usually quite good at sending engineers out quickly. These cylinders come pre built so I know we sometimes have to get the manufacturers to send someone out if there is a fault with the pressure release valves etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Consistent Drip Through Tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi there, I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered...
Replies
Views
Amelia
A
Hi to all, Seeking your advice here - a very long back story to get you well informed: I am a complete DIY and plumbing novice with very little...
Replies
Views
Hi All, On Thursday there was a water leake a few steets away from us And we had no water most of the day. About 10 minutes before my neigbour...
Replies
Views
Hello, We have had our unvented cylinder serviced for the first time a few days ago (the whole heating system is brand new, well one year old...
Replies
Views
Two years ago, I requested a fully qualified plumber to change the location of the hot water cylinder in a vented central heating system. I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock