Discuss Conservatory radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to fit a new radiator into a well insulated conservatory which is 5m x 5m overall size.

The max size of the radiator could be 70cm H x 220cm W.

I need a good quality standard white finish radiator (not a ‘designer’ type) and would prefer a larger single panel rather than double panel type; ......however, would a single panel be adequate given the size of the conservatory?

Anyone recommend a good quality radiator and supplier please?

........I’m not looking for a ‘budget’ radiator ; cost is not an issue as it’s just a one-off so I don’t mind paying a bit extra for a decent product.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You need to have it separately zoned to comply with building regs, never mind the size and look of the thing!

Thanks for the reply.
What does separately zoned mean?........the conservatory isn't new ...it's been in position for over 20 years.

I think i have read this right max size 700 h x 220 wide, in a word mate , it has nt a hope in hell of warming it. If its been there for 20 years how has it been heated up till now ?

bit of a beggar screwing it to the blessed conservatory windows though :)

I think i have read this right max size 700 h x 220 wide, in a word mate , it has nt a hope in hell of warming it. If its been there for 20 years how has it been heated up till now ?

It had a balanced flue gas fire but that has been taken out and the hole bricked up/plastered etc. been using an electric convector radiator but incredibly expensive to run.

Would a double panel radiator of the above size not be adequate? i.e. 12/13k BTU.

I've seen a couple of matrix calculators that indicate that would be adequate given the construction of the conservatory. It's been revamped recently with latest k-glass double glazed roof and , windows etc and the internal walls rebuilt (floor to roof-line) with the cavity gap insulated properly. New doors also.

A 700 x 2000K3 About 6kw. Should be good for the tomatoes
We measure rads in millimetres not centimetres Max & the K3 is a treble panel.

Are you looking to use it as living area or just for frost free food production as Tamz suggests ?

We measure rads in millimetres not centimetres Max & the K3 is a treble panel.

Are you looking to use it as living area or just for frost free food production as Tamz suggests ?
It is used as a living area and has been for 20+ years.

It's not used for food 'production', .....but it is used for food 'consumption'.

P.S. coincidentally, that does include tomatoes;....... and all manner of fruit/veg.

It is used as a living area and has been for 20+ years.

It's not used for food 'production', .....but it is used for food 'consumption'.

P.S. coincidentally, that does include tomatoes;....... and all manner of fruit/veg.
Sitting around in a glass box will require a large amount of heat (rad output) to keep it at a comfortable 21deg C.
It might be better to just put in the largest you can fit / afford and except that the room temp when it is cold outside will not be as high as it will in the other rooms. You could just boost it with a fan heater on the odd time it is required.

You asked what zoning is (as required by Building Regs & it doesn't matter that its been up for 20years), well as you are altering the system to install a large heat source out there which if just hooked onto the system would add dramatically to the daily running cost. Why not have an automatic control valve installed so that you can choose to have this area heated only when you are going to use the room, saving lots of heat, carbon & of course money.

Does that sound like a good idea, Yes ?, Thats why it is a requirement of the Part L 1b Building Regs.

Last edited:
Sitting around in a glass box will require a large amount of heat (rad output) to keep it at a comfortable 21deg C.
It might be better to just put in the largest you can fit / afford and except that the room temp when it is cold outside will not be as high as it will in the other rooms. You could just boost it with a fan heater on the odd time it is required.

You asked what zoning is (as required by Building Regs & it doesn't matter that its been up for 20years), well as you are altering the system to install a large heat source out there which if just hooked onto the system would add dramatically to the daily running cost. Why not have an automatic control valve installed so that you can choose to have this area heated only when you are going to use the room, saving lots of heat, carbon & of course money.

Does that sound like a good idea, Yes ?, Thats why it is a requirement of the Part L 1b Building Regs.

Chris;....Many thanks for the very helpful reply my friend,
As I said it’s not really like an old style glass-box conservatory.
It’s more what’s called an ‘Orangery’ style.
It has full brick/breezeblock walls (up to the roof-line) with regulation cavity insulation. The foundations and brickwork/floor meet the requirements of ANY home extension.......not just a conservatory.
It's been revamped recently with latest k-glass double glazed roof and ditto windows/doors etc ;......but it’s a big area and electric heating is very expensive.

How would the control valve be connected?

In an ideal world I would like the conservatory to have the ability to be heated independently if the rest of the house is ‘switched off’ so to speak.....is that possible?

Yes all is possible, it will be a separate zone on your existing heating system with its own call for heat but this is where it all gets too complicated to do on hear someone needs to have a look on site at your existing system both controls & pipework.
They could also help you with a proper heat loss calculation to allow the heat emitter to be sized correctly.

Good luck

Post your area in the plumber wanted forum someone good on here might be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Conservatory radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I’m hoping you’ll be able to help. I’ll try and make it as short as possible so that someone actually reads it, if you need any more...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having some renovations done on ground floor and looking to get rid of / replace some of the older looking boilers on that floor (mainly...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to buy and install a couple new radiators for my property as they are very outdated and lack the heating power to warm up the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back