Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Connectors for potable water in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. GameForkStudio

GameForkStudio New Member

Hi all,
    A novice question.
    I am trying to replace the kitchen tap. The current tap is soldered to copper pipes under the sink. I will need to cut those but I don't want to do any soldering (don't have the tools/knowledg) so I was looking at other types of connectors.

I found the following push fit connector:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/tectite-sprint-brass-push-fit-adapting-male-coupler-15mm-x/94310

It is Manufactured from Copper and DZR Brass.
    1- Is it suitable for drinking water?
    2- Can pressure fit handle mains pressure.

Many thanks.

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You will probably find the copper tails are screwed into the tap not soldered , you will be able to get a flexi hose to help you install the new tap , most come with flexis these days .

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GameForkStudio

You are probably right about the copper tails but I can't unscrew them because they are soldered to copper pipes under the sink.

4. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You will need to cut the old tap off then. Get a pipe cutter. Be warned. Most of these copper tails narrow the closer to the tap you get

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GameForkStudio

Thanks for the reply. But it still doesn't answer my original questions about that part. Is it suitable for drinking water and mains pressure?

6. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hose-15mm-x-m10mm-x-300mm-2-pack/66361
    If the new taps don't come with suitable hoses then just buy a new pair such as these with a 15mm compression joint to connect to the copper pipes under the old taps once you cut & remove them. (the ones in the link don't seem to be WRAS approved- see below)

Please make sure that both the new taps & the hoses (or any fittings used) are WRAS approved otherwise you could fall foul of the Water Supply (water fittings) Regulations 1999.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  7. GameForkStudio

Thanks Chris. I didn't know about WRAS.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Ignorance is no excuse. Big fines or worse if you get it wrong

9. GameForkStudio

That's why I asked the experts :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Unfortunately nor do most people, they naively think that just because it is on sale in this country it can be used.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Marc Bowers

Marc Bowers GSR

Look here
    WRAS search.
    Approval number 1607066
    Without looking I'm guessing that the coupler is one of the 1180 Tectite Sprint fittings that is WRAS approved

• Like Like x 2
  12. Marc Bowers

Marc Bowers GSR

So, Yes it is suitable for drinking water and Yes, they can handle mains pressure. Hope that answers your question.
    Flexi's on the other hand are common and can get you out of a lot of problems with misaligned pipework but be careful if you have a low pressure hot supply as the bore on the flexi's can be very small as they are better suited to high pressure supplies, in that instance, you can't beat a full flow copper tap tail. (Or in my opinion a separate hot and cold tap!)

• Like Like x 2