Search the forum,

Discuss connector from wash basin to low level toilet flush pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pushrod

Hi, electrician from electrical forum on home duties just hoping for a bit of advice.

I am replacing an old cast iron high level cistern with a low level one and putting a very small wash basin (cold water only) in an old downstairs toilet. Is it legal and possible to connect the waste from the sink into the flush pipe? Have already discovered that said flush pipe seems to be an unusual size - are then any adaptors available to connect the two, any links to parts much appreciated. If it is not legal will have to take waste pipe and have to break into an old clay pipe drain (nothing else remotely close by unless i made a soak away even then have to dig up concrete!). Any tips for going into the clay pipe if i have to? cheers:)

Can you change the pan connector on the toilet to one with a basin waste spigot. McAlpine 90DEG Bent Toilet Pan Connector WC-CON8V 32MM

:( I think you may be a little stuck then, If it were allowed to run it into the flush, it would still look a bit naff, save on flushing though!

May be time for a new pan!

Last edited by a moderator:
will you get a good flush on the old pan with a low level cistern? if not you will have to change it which means you will then have to change the soil pipe then you can get the mcalpine unit with the spigot for the basin waste.

will you get a good flush on the old pan with a low level cistern? if not you will have to change it which means you will then have to change the soil pipe then you can get the mcalpine unit with the spigot for the basin waste.

Suspect it will flush ok as new cistern is bigger and will be a 20" drop between them, but...

Mmmh your idea sounds good... could be the plan - just don't fancy chipping out the old pan without breaking the drain... and then if i do i might as well just go for a close coupled toilet, but i've already bought the low level cistern... aargh!

Connectors into flush pipe anyone - don't suppose this little sink will even get much use ! Managed for 15 years just walking to the kitchen, but the wife wants it for when we have guests!

right, what you can do is....
cut the flush pipe 3'' back from where it enters the pan, then fit a 32mm mcalpine 't' to pick up the basin waste.
however, you will have to invert it a little and make a trap-arrester from the pipe arrangement from the basin to prevent the flush running up to the basin.
not look brilliant, but practical.

could also try leaving of the cistern lid off and fitting a tap above it and using the grey water to flush.lol.

bog run.jpg

right, what you can do is....
cut the flush pipe 3'' back from where it enters the pan, then fit a 32mm mcalpine 't' to pick up the basin waste.
however, you will have to invert it a little and make a trap-arrester from the pipe arrangement from the basin to prevent the flush running up to the basin.
not look brilliant, but practical. I could even box it in :)

View attachment 2687

Cheers, will this mcalpine T fit the flush pipe - it's 38mm external diameter/35mm internal ?
and are they fairly widely available? Any chance of a link?

Saw some water saving thing ages ago at a plumbing exhibition - a WC with a handbasin on top - the handbasin ran into the top of the cistern to recycle water for the flush. Thought it was a cracking idea but the units were quite pricey.

Stick your old cast cistern on Ebay - they are worth a mint!

Last edited:
ah yes sorry,
it has to be the 40mm compresion type, i have done one before for a custard. you can get them from anywhere.

you mean one of these?.tn.jpg

ah yes sorry,
it has to be the 40mm compresion type, i have done one before for a custard. you can get them from anywhere.

you mean one of these?.View attachment 2690

Interesting pic - shame i have the sink and the low level cistern already.

Will the 40mm compression seal on the 38mm flush pipe?

Custard :confused: you got me there - customer? rhyming slang? custard pie/guy
nope not a scooby doo;)

Reckon i have it sussed - even if the 40mm compression T won't seal on the flush pipe i'll use a couple of rubber flexi pipe connectors to link in some 40mm pipe for the T. Will also allow me to increase the height of the cistern, if needed, to improve the flush.

It will look like a dog's breakfast but i can box it in and will still be a dam sight easier and quicker than going through the wall and digging up the footpath to break into the drain. Thanks for the help guys :)

@Redsaw

Yes, where do you buy them from?
you can get them from toolstation, and they definately fit flush pipe as i did one to of-set a cistern last year.

or do you mean the toilet?. apparently there available from australia.
but in the u.k....i havn't a clue. i have been on the lookout for 2 years now.
you could make your own by diverting the inlet valve via a tube high up, then invert the lid and cut in a drain hole.
everything else is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to connector from wash basin to low level toilet flush pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock