Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting Towel Rail to Original Rad Pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jdr90

Evening All,

Having recently moved into my first home I am trying to change the radiator in our cloakroom from a standard to a towel rail. I have got as far as removing the old rad and capping it off, etc however am now a bit stumped in terms what connectors, etc I need to purchase/use for the new one.

Here is a photo of where I am at: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16547850/Pictures/2013-01-30 20.40.06.jpg

Is anyone able to advise on what I need to buy to connect the original pipe to the valve on the new rad/towel rail? Sorry, probably being stupid here but really can't work it out however am interested to learn...

Thanks ever so much in advance,

John :)

What you have there is 2 lockshields, bin the old one and repipe copper to new one. You will probably need to drain down the system to do it, so make sure you have inhibitor for when you fill back up.

Thanks JCplumb,

Are you able to advise what part I need to buy to repipe the copper in order for it to connect with the lockshield on the new towel rad?

Thanks again,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I can try... Only done back in school but would like to give it a go, don't remember it being too hard. Looking again at it I presume I take off the old lockshield, solder a right angled bit of copper on, then tighten in to the new rad lockshield?

Also, judging from photo - is that 10mm copper pipe I will need? If so, I will need to get a new new lock shield I presume?

Is there a reason you're not calling a plumber out for this?
If you do it the way you suggest it will be messy, the best way would be to bring up new straights from the floor up to the new rad valves, if it's in 10mm that shouldn't be too difficult with a bending spring and some 10mm couplers.
Can you move the rad to one side so that you can use one of the existing feed pipes and only have to adjust the other one?
If you're not sure about soldering I'd really recommend getting a plumber in, he'll do it in no time and it will be guaranteed and insured by him.

Thanks JCplumb, I wasn't sure about the extent of this job (I know its simple for a plumber). Just being inquisitive so thanks for the clarification on what it would involve - if more simple I would have attempted myself.

Thanks again,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting Towel Rail to Original Rad Pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. The current towel rail is 1000mm x 600mm and ideally I'd like the pipes coming straight from the ground into the rail. The distance between pipe centres is 695mm. I can get a 750mm wide rail but the centres with that are 705mm and that additional 10mm could cause too much strain on...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just redecorated my bathroom and am looking to buy a new towel rail which is 400w x 600h. I have just realised that the pipe centres are 375mm apart, and it looks like the standard for this sized towel rail is 350mm. Does anyone know where I can get a 400x600 towel rail with pipe...
Replies
Views
F
Does adaptor exist? Hi, looking to move a rad, the original valves will be hidden behind a bath, so I was wanting to leave original valves in place so no need to drain down, connect a run of 15mm pipe connecting to its new position. What size connector would fit on old rad valves that would...
Replies
Views
Hi all, please could anyone help me with the following issue im having. I will start off with listing the scenario in case it helps. Boiler - Ideal Icos. Property - 4 bed System age - around 16 yrs. I have a problem in my en-suite, whereby i am unable to get the towel rail to heat up - this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock