Search the forum,

Discuss Conditions of boiler install in loft? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I posted a thread last week about having had a boiler put in my loft.

Some people replied saying I needed to meet conditions to have the boiler in the loft, does anyone have a definitive list of conditions that I can present to my plumber and ask why I was never told about it?

TBH this says the same thing we have but you can show him this

Thought I would call Worcheter and ask, so they require:

• Boarded up to and around boiler so someone can work on it.
  • Lights.
  • Fixed ladder.

And that's it - I guess this post can be closed, but thought i would update it for anyone who comes along in the future.

Thanks all for help.

The access, lighting and control requirements for installing a boiler in the loft of a property are clearly defined by the GS(IU)Regulations. They are not optional - just refer your installer to the regulations he is bound by.

He / she should be telling you the requirements not the other way round.

The access, lighting and control requirements for installing a boiler in the loft of a property are clearly defined by the GS(IU)Regulations. They are not optional - just refer your installer to the regulations he is bound by.

He / she should be telling you the requirements not the other way round.

Thanks, do you have a link online to these regulations?

Panther,

There are two key areas for this:

Regulation 28 (Access) of the Gas Safety (Instruction snd Use) Regulations state:

No person shall instal a gas appliance except in such a manner that it is readily accessible for operation, inspection and maintenance.

The second is BS 6798 which outlines the requirements for installing a boiler in a loft space:
Loft must be adequately illuminated with fixed lighting.

A permanent means of access must be provided to the loft ( a retractable permanently fixed loft ladder meets this requirement)

There must be a sufficient area of permanent flooring to provide safe access and working area; to, surrounding and beneath the boiler.

The floor or structure must be capable of holding the weight of the boiler in operation.

There should be a handrail around the loft hatch.

A guard / rail around the boiler to prevent material being stacked up against the boiler may be needed.

I am also fairly sure that there is a requirement that there should be provision to isolate the gas supply to the boiler without entering the loft space and to be able to control the boiler without entering the said loft space. At the moment, I cannot locate them - Duncan M may be able to help / give clarity on this point.

Not sure if the documents are available as free downloads, you can certainly access them on line as paid downloads.

Hope this answers your question.

A final point, these requirements for safe access are not “hidden” away in the legislation that your installer must work to. However, the access requirements must be in place before the boiler is installed in the loft area.

Reply to Conditions of boiler install in loft? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock