Discuss Condensate pipe and soakaway in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, we had a new combi fitted 10 months ago. It was fitted with a condensate soakaway as no drainpipe/drain nearby. The fitter assured us that it was all done correctly and that it has been fitted into a soakaway. After (just recently) reading to manufactures instructions concerning the soakaway its states it need needs to be 500mm from house. After digging around a bit it appears to be about 300mm from house? Should I be concerned and can this be rectified if needed. I think it has only been put here due to restrictions with concrete in this area and it was probably as far as he could go without alot of extra work.
Any advice would be great, thanks.

Thanks Alpha Man for replying, tried to phoning before Christmas about 2 noisy trv's but haven't heard back from him. I'm not sure how else the pipe could run, would put pictures up but its dark! It comes down into a flowerbed area but the rest is concrete..

Should be 500mm from foundations and depending which make you use should have the holes facing away from building. I would call him with your concerns. Limestone chippings needed around the soakaway aswell.

Last edited:
I know it isn't as per MI but if it cant be moved further away consider the situation more deeply building regs state a soakaway should be 1m away from a building this manufacturer has in their judgement considered that an over kill as the volume of water is small perhaps making the area drain better,limestone chippings to keep the soil less acidic or could you install a condensate pump but I don't think you should let it prey on your mind too much

Not fitted to current regulations/standards but its not a big issue. Its a building regulation due to the acidity of the condensate solution.
My concern would be as it goes outside against recommendations it may be prone to freezing if less than 32mm pipe and not insulated/protected. Then you may have issues with boiler shutting down.
If concerned have a more conciousness engineer take a look and advise on options.

I know it isn't as per MI but if it cant be moved further away consider the situation more deeply building regs state a soakaway should be 1m away from a building this manufacturer has in their judgement considered that an over kill as the volume of water is small perhaps making the area drain better,limestone chippings to keep the soil less acidic or could you install a condensate pump but I don't think you should let it prey on your mind too much

Thanks for your advice Biillybob , its a terraced house do it is awkward not helped by stormporch in the way if the pipe was to go the other side with a window in the way too. reading everything online about discharge from drain eating away at concrete/foundations and damaging gas pipes has me worried............

Looking at other houses the same as mine in the area, it looks like the same thing has been done there to I know it doesn't make it right but maybe no other option?

Not a big issue Nat if not giving you any issues. It's done now.
But if you want it rectified or just some advise then post it the Plumbers/engineers wanted section along with your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate pipe and soakaway in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock